Two Questions from ADA

Discussion in 'Dental' started by osamah, Jul 23, 2001.

1. osamah

osamah Member

For overseas dentists,

1.Why ADA can not set up National Boards testing center out of USA, when similar centers are established for similiar exams like USMLE, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT etc around the world? NBD exams are REQUIRED by all programs of International Dentistry(DDS).

Every year hundereds of applicants came to USA only to appear in one day exam, spending thousands & travelling long distances.

2.When Medical Doctors can practice/license in USA after passing a series of exams, why not Dentists, even Dentistry is a limited science as compare to Medicine????

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ilovinescu

ilovinescu Junior Member

Do you mean Pt II of the boards? I think it is because it requires a live human patient, and not all foreign countries train their dentists the same way. That is why they changed the licen. rules, because some foreign trained dentists were failing the PT II of the exam. I am sure other counties have that same licen. req. and standarts as the US, but not all of them do. And because not all other countries do, they changed the rules. I understand your frustration.

4. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member

Osamah,

Are you still complaining!! Bottom-line is the U.S. has certain standards for Dentistry. You can either accept them or move on. My question goes back to a post I made to you many months ago-------With everything the U.S. has to offer foreigners, why not comply with U.S. standards? If you wish not to comply, then why not go back to your homeland and help your people? Why not support your own country-----after all they did invest time and expertise in hopes you'd become a competent dentist, didn't they?

It seems to me that you'd be the same type of person that would win the "Lotto Jackpot" and complain about your "new" tax problem! You need to stop looking at your small road-blocks in life and keep your focus on your end goal. In other words, stop complaining you have plenty to be thankful for!

R.R.B

5. RacerDude2249

RacerDude2249 Senior Member

Osamah,

Without going to far into this, I just want to say that I work around a couple international dentists who are trying to get their license to practice in the U.S. and both of them have stated to me that they feel that their level of dental skills taught to them in their homeland are not parallel with the dental skills taught in the U.S. They both feel that they have to learn more than what they were taught in their homeland to pass the U.S. national boards. My point is that the U.S. has its own unique set of criteria for dental standards as do all other countries in the world. I feel it is imperative that if any international dentists are to come to the U.S., they must prove that they are competent and knowledgable in the standard of dental care that the U.S. requires. No, I'm not saying that the U.S. dental educational system is superior to the dental educational system in your homeland--just different. As Dr2b has stated, just accept that you have to go through a couple more years of U.S. dental school to practice here in the U.S. Complaining is not going to get you anywhere.

Racerdude