Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Two questions!?!?! Shadow/LOR

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 75969, Dec 14, 2005.

1. 75969

75969 Guest

Medical Student
    This winter break, I am going to type up a generic-type letter to physicians in an attempt to find shadowing experience. Those of you who have done this, what exactly should I put in the letter? Should I tell my availability (or would that be premature?)? I really don’t know how to phrase the letter (other than stating the obvious; that I am a student at ___university looking to shadow for whatnot reason---i.e. I REALLY need to know if I am making a HUGE mistake here or not!---but with better phrasing :)).

Also, those of you who are self-learners and do not attend classes, how have you secured positive LOR’s? I go to a huge university and most classes are 80-120+ students, however my professors in smaller seminar classes (40-75 people) actually learn peoples names (or at least the names of people who attend class and make themselves noticed). I have had several professors mention that they only care about people who are in class, since they are the only ones who care about learning, etc… I get little out of 90% of my classes and would be more efficient on my own, but then LOR would be a problem….

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. madonna

madonna Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    in response to your first q, i'd better call or sop by the office you are interested. i doubt many docs will take their time to read and answer letter. there is a program in a hospital i volunteer at that hooks up students with doctors and you can even go with them to surgery. find out at you nearby hospital, mb you have that also.

4. 75969

75969 Guest

Medical Student
    Thanks!

I was going to type a letter and and deliver it, that way I can have contact info, etc... ready for them (and as a reminder!). Also, if I wasnt able to physically talk to them I could at least deliver the letter...

I emailed the volunteer office at a hospital I had applied to this summer and was told that they only accept 3rd and 4th years and only place them in the ER. That could be my opportunity right there... :D