Two quick mcat questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iceburnztt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is on this site somewhere but I've read so much already my head is going to pop. Basically I'm a freshman in undergrad with the ambition of in time becoming a ophthalmologist. What I'm looking to do is truly jump the gun by taking and steps I may take to start studying for MCAT this far in advance. Mainly I was wondering if it's possible to get one's hands on a practice test of some sort just to get a general idea of what I'm up against. But more so than anything I am aware of the course that are recommended and such but is there any single book that is the basic essence of what you need to study and be prepared for? If so I would be in your debt for the title. Thank for you any pointers and sorry if this post comes off as being lazy and not using the search I just figured since one of my two questions was very specific this might be the better route. My apologies.

Members don't see this ad.

you can start by getting the kaplan mcat comphrensive book. It would actually be a good book to have around as you are taking your pre-med courses because it explains things in a simple way. Also--if you would like to look at a free official practice test, you can go to www.e-mcat.com and get 3R for free. By the time you take the mcat, it will be computer based so you will definitely want to keep that in mind. Right now just focus on getting great grades and start some extracurriculars/volunteering that you can continue throughout college. good luck :luck:

Thanks for the immature response. I can assure you I have quite the life at my age and laugh at your infantile comment. Sorry if I prefer a planned, diligent method to my future. I've had my share of wasted time and this is my way of rectifying past mistakes.

I appreciate the feedback greatly nikki that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'm starting to get into a few volunteer programs this summer which should help me long term as well as a potential job at a eye institute in the area. Anyway again I thank you for the informative response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well this question has been asked a ton of times, but I'll go ahead and respond anyways.......

Really the important thing to do is to do well in your classes, but not just do well enough where you get an A but don't retain the material.

Instead you should aim to do well enough that you can recall info you learned freshmen year in bio, so that you will only need the most basic review. Understand it conceptually where you can apply it rather then just memorizing facts or equations.

Its hard to practice now because you will be switching to the new MCAT format which is all CBT. Don't have many materials for that yet.

Try to take your prereqs in the first two years so you can take it after sophomore year rather then wait til junior year, or so if you decide to take it junior year you can always take more advanced classes that you might think will help for MCAT, though this is unecessary.

Iceburnztt said:
Thanks for the immature response. I can assure you I have quite the life at my age and laugh at your infantile comment. Sorry if I prefer a planned, diligent method to my future. I've had my share of wasted time and this is my way of rectifying past mistakes.

I appreciate the feedback greatly nikki that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'm starting to get into a few volunteer programs this summer which should help me long term as well as a potential job at a eye institute in the area. Anyway again I thank you for the informative response.

His response, while sarcastic, was not very far off.

The best preparation for the MCAT right now is to take and do well in your pre-req courses. Those courses will teach you 90+ % of the material on the MCAT.

There is little to no benefit to be had from studying for the MCAT before taking those courses.

So do your work in those courses, learn the material, and start worrying about the MCAT after that.

OP,
I know the other posts have basically stated the same thing, but it is far more important to really learn the information from pre-reqs. I happen to be a tutor for most of the pre-req courses in biology and chemistry, and I can't tell you how many times I see pre-med students studying 2 days before an exam. That kind of studying doesn't help you retain the material in the long run. If you are truly into studying right now, I would suggest KAPLAN or EXAMKRACKERS....it will probably help you with your pre-reqs anyway, just be mindful that the MCAT is changing..... Make sure that you do take some time to do other "resume builders" while working on your undergrad. I know a student with a 4.0 and a 39 MCAT that didn't get in where he wanted because all he had for ECs was swimming and more swimming....bummer for him! Good Luck and Take it easy!

Iceburnztt said:

my point was that you're a freshman, and that at this point, the mcat should not be a great concern of yours. trust me, if start studying 2 months before the mcat (and assuming you did well in your premed courses) you'll be fine, that's what I did and I made a 39. focus on more important things, the mcat, although important, is not everything in med school admissions.

Iceburnztt said:
I'm sure this is on this site somewhere but I've read so much already my head is going to pop. Basically I'm a freshman in undergrad with the ambition of in time becoming a ophthalmologist. What I'm looking to do is truly jump the gun by taking and steps I may take to start studying for MCAT this far in advance. Mainly I was wondering if it's possible to get one's hands on a practice test of some sort just to get a general idea of what I'm up against. But more so than anything I am aware of the course that are recommended and such but is there any single book that is the basic essence of what you need to study and be prepared for? If so I would be in your debt for the title. Thank for you any pointers and sorry if this post comes off as being lazy and not using the search I just figured since one of my two questions was very specific this might be the better route. My apologies.

If you want a practice exam you can always buy one from the AMCA. You can also take advantage of anytime TPR or Kaplan hosts a free diagnostic on campus.

Don't know of any books but if you do plan on starting this early make sure you have taken the course equivalent or else all that knowledge might just slip right over your head (what a waste of time that will be).

Also plan out the date(s) you may take the MCAT then make sure you will finish your pre-reqs before then. I've seen too many people who kept putting this exam off due to poor planning (it makes me a sad panda).

Lastly, I'd start reading more if I were you. MCAT is very much passage based. If you can read fast and comprehend what you read well you will own all the three important sections.

But otherwise, quantummechanic has a good point :)

Hi Ice. First of all, best of luck to you. I hope you do great!

Now, on to your question. I think it's great that you're concerned about preparing this early... but I'm not sure that practicing the MCAT quite this early is the best strategy. I would advise getting some more of your basic sciences out of the way before you start looking at that goal. The reason I say that, is because you'll need organic chemistry and some biochemistry to know a lot of the material on the exam. I guess the best analogy is "you have to crawl before you can walk."

That being said, I agree with some of the other responses to your question. The Kaplan book is really good, and explains a lot of the concepts that will be on the test.

So, don't worry so much about full-length MCATs quite yet. Work on a good foundation of your science knowledge. And know that the MCAT is unlike any other test you've taken. It's not only about the knowledge you have, but how well you can apply it. For your med school application, start doing some work in the medical field, whether it's a paying job, or volunteer work at a local hospital. And extracurricular activies are a big plus, too. (Yes, med schools actually look at that info.) When you interview, or meet with anyone from the school, and tell them about yourself, you don't want this to happen: "So, what are your hobbies? What do you do in your free time?" ... "Um, I don't have any hobbies." In other words, be a well-rounded individual.

Study the sciences, take it in steps, and do things to de-stress from all of the studying, and you should be in good shape! I wish you the best! :)