Two random questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akaYoungSkrilla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two random questions:

1) I've been looking at some of the requirements for admissions for the med schools I want to apply to (I'll be applying next cycle) and some of them have specific unit requirements for humanities/behavioral/etc. (gen-ed type courses). Hopkins comes to mind, with their 24 unit requirement. I took 12 or so AP tests in high school and got 5's, so I APed out of a lot of gen-ed requirements and lower division intro courses in biology, physics, and calc. As a result, I only needed 3 or 4 gen-ed courses, so I won't really meet some of those requirements. Will med schools actually care about this, or should I be fine since I have so much AP credit?

2) Is it looked down upon to hold a leadership position in a Greek social fraternity? I know that some of the graduate students in my research group said that graduate schools might look down on "frat guys", but would med school consider this with equal weight as any other leadership role with similar levels of responsibilities? It's not exactly easy running a 180+ man chapter with a multi-million dollar house, etc. but I've been thinking about taking on a role on our executive board.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

No, not looked down upon at all. Just make sure you do well in some upper level classes to prove you can handle university level courses.

Also, Greek life is not looked down upon by most. Unless that adcom tried to pledge that frat/sorority and didn't get it. Leadership is always a plus.

As to your first question, that's going to vary by school. I would suggest calling the schools you are interested in to see how they view AP credit.