Two research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolyGrail

A magnum opus suscipio
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to work in two different labs:

I've already accepted a position working on some really neat biochemical enzymes, it is going to be a great time and I'm really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, another research position just popped up, which would be studying Type-II Diabetes.

Would any of you take both? I'll be starting during the summer... I'll also only have 12 credits in the fall, so I could probably swing it in the fall again, it just seems like it might be a bit of hard work.

What would you all do?

Members don't see this ad.

what kind of advantage do you see there being in doing both?

I'd say stick to the biochemical enzymes and just do your best at it. maybe your extra effort could land you a paper.

I guess I just thought it would look good on an application, especially the Type-II diabetes research. I just hate saying "no" to any opportunity I guess, I'd just like to hear some opinions. I'm leaning toward not overstretching myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you see yourself doing diabetes research for the rest of your life and you plan on applying to an MD/PhD program to pursue that end, by all means, go with that one.

med schools pretty much only care to see that you do have research experience, regardless of what it's in.

It would also depend on how much time you eventually wind up devoting to either lab. Research can have a way of taking over your life :) once you get really involved in projects. It's not impossible to work in more than one lab, but you may be able to make much more of a contribution if you stick with just one.

Yeah that's pretty much getting down to the bare bones of my question, thanks humid and army!

Just go with which ever lab sounds more interesting to you. Both sound like good gigs, so it really comes down to your interests. Maybe you could get a hold of a few papers that each of the labs have recently put out and just see if one or the other peaks your interest. I would not recommend working in both... maybe during the summer (if you really want to), but definitely not while taking a full course load.