Two residents dismissed from rad onc last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncbuddy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the newest edition of the ACGME data resource book, 2 residents were dismissed from rad onc last year. ACGME tracks the number of residents that transferred, withdrew, or were dismissed each year. Why are residents being dismissed from rad onc? It is a very unfortunate thing to be dismissed from residency.

Here's the link:
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Port...nsBooks/2014-2015_ACGME_DATABOOK_DOCUMENT.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

I think people know where one of the residents was dismissed from last year. It came up last Spring before applicants were ranking their match list.

Members don't see this ad :)
It happens in almost every field, I'm not sure why you wouldn't expect it to happen in radonc. People sometimes get into medicine or medical subspecialties for the wrong reason or just can't handle the intellectual or clinical requirements of a field.

Yeah but for a field where most programs don't have that many residents to begin with - actually firing one seems very extreme. Like someone would have to be really bad or do something egregious.

Yeah but for a field where most programs don't have that many residents to begin with - actually firing one seems very extreme. Like someone would have to be really bad or do something egregious.

Maybe, but rad onc isn't immune to having incompetent physicians. The residency matching process isn't perfect and honesty in medical evaluations is heavily de-incentivized. It is actually relatively easy for someone with no clinical competence to fly under the radar and match. What's better as an attending: working alone or supervising someone who messes everything up? It is a last resort, but firing isn't unreasonable.

I heard of one who was let go in regards to scores on the in-service. My program did not use this as a criteria and wonder if other programs are using this for remediation/suspension/dismissal. I could only imagine how this would effect a small-avg size program.