Two semesters o-chem, one summer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plasmidgreen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of places where it's possible to take two semesters of organic chemistry in one summer, that's open to students from outside the university? My school doesn't offer both semesters at once. I know Harvard has one, but it's far away (I'm from New Mexico) and very expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

My school also had the 2 semesters in 2 summer blocks. I feel like it should be more common than you're thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they open to students from different universities though? None of the websites I've found specified whether they're open-enrollment. Maybe I am making this more complicated than it has to be.

I personally know that my university allows just about anyone to take a summer course. It takes less time to enroll in one than a normal semester, and there are less hoops to jump through. You just apply by the deadline, and get in. A lot of CC students and students from other universities staying with their families take courses at my university over the summer, then go right back to what they were doing when the normal year starts again.

I dunno, but I took Orgo I and II at the same time a few summers ago at U Michigan, and it was awful. :( I was in class all day, and the rest of the time, I couldn't do anything but study. I ended up with an A and a B+, but I seriously had NO life for the entire summer. I definitely recommend taking them separately during the summer!

northwestern offers it. i took it there. good luck. why can't you do it over the regular semester

northwestern offers it. i took it there. good luck. why can't you do it over the regular semester

I could, but I will be really far ahead if I finish o-chem this summer. Just trying to be proactive. I love chemistry, and it'll be nice to not have to do lab work all summer.

I took both semesters of OChem over the summer at University of Colorado Boulder.

You can do that at Cal State Northridge in southern California

There is a smaller university in Columbus called Capital that does an extensive summer O-chem program. It's pretty common for ppl to do this around here so they can skip a whole year of o-chem.

Northeastern Illinois University and University of Maryland, College Park.

OP: You may have wanted to quantify what region you want to be in. Otherwise you will get answers like mine - all over the place.

At the University of Alabama you can take Organic I in June, Organic II in July, and the first 2 hour Organic lab in July as well. I did it, it was busy, but enjoyable.

And honestly, if you can't meet the admission standards here, you should probably re-evaluate medicine as a career path!

But seriously, Tuscaloosa is fun during the summer, and we have a great chemistry department. You should check it out.