Two vet school alternatives, any opinions/info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katryn

UTCVM c/o 2014!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm mainly wondering if anyone is currently doing or has looked into doing Public Health as an alternative to veterinary medicine. It's been mentioned in several other threads, but not in much detail. If you're currently doing it: what does your job intail? do you do any work directly with animals? What's the job market like?

Also, I've run across the idea of Veterinary social work (most vet schools seem to have one or two). Does anyone know anything about the field? Internet searches have failed to provide much info on what exactly they do, if jobs are available outside of vet schools, pay, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Public health isn't necessarily an ALTERNATIVE.

You can be a veterinarian working in public health.

Unless perhaps you're talking about alternatives to privately practicing?

Looking at alternatives to going to vet school at all. I'm not giving up and have every intention of trying again (didn't get accepted anywhere this year), but my interviewers grilled me hard about the fact that I had never even considered other options.....which means they probably considered it a weakness. Figured its at least worth looking into alternatives to show maturity and whatnot.

Keeping in mind, I know nothing about you or your application...

You could technically read that line of questioning from the adcoms a different way. Perhaps your grades aren't stellar, or perhaps you don't have a whole lot of experience in vet med; they could be trying to ascertain your commitment to the profession to make sure your heart and head know what they want.

Pretty much it could jus tbe a test to see if you've thought rationally about your future both in terms of getting into vet school or what happens if you don't.

Some people have the mind set that they are going to apply 1000 times if they have to, others say I'll give it three years and then choose something else b/c I can't keep waiting.

One of my alternatives that I never had to continue to consider was going to be Paediatric Physician's assistant. I would have worked under a supervising "boss" (a doctor) but not had to worry as much about liability insurance and other issues, yet still been able to practice medicine on a creature that can't communicate, or communicate effectively--essentially a job I considered to have challenges similar to vet med that would be stimulating, rewarding, and challenging--as well as keep me at a decent lifestyle (pay) that I would be happy with.