Two Weeks Until MCAT - Critique My Study Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plasmodium

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why don't you swap out the kaplan fl's? Do the aamc self assessment first and then the aamcs. If you have it, do the official mcat guide as well. would probably be beneficial to do solely aamc materials this close to test date.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12925711#post12925711

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-MCAT-Exam-Edition/dp/1577541073The self assessment (approx 3 aamc's of worth problems) should be included in your kaplan account.
The official mcat guide has approx 1 fl worth of problems. First edition has same problems and cheaper. Up to you whether you want to spend the money.

By the remaining aamc's, I meant 3 and 4. Since the self assessment will take you a couple days to do (a week if you take ample time to review and go over weaknesses), the last week would be perfect for 3 and 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
The aamc self assessment is official aamc material. They combined questions from old aamcs (1, 2, 6). No it's not the initial diag that you took (which some would argue as being not very helpful). Also, if you'll search around, you'll see that the earlier kaplans better indicators than the later ones. You said you were lazy right? might as well spend your time doing quality material.
each subject takes like 3-4 hours, so like 3 fls in length. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=923491
Read that thread in detail. I would make the assessment your priority #1, aamc 3 and 4 your priority #2 and the other stuff at the very bottom. Note: you should do the assessments asap, so you have time to fix the weaknesses.

I've been told that your actual MCAT score will be +/- 2 points from your average practice scores barring any outliers such as an exam that is perfectly suited for your strengths. I personally would practice doing verbal every day because it is a whole different beast. Doing this could get you to that coveted 10 in verbal.

Yeah, I know, it's weird that my AAMC scores were, for the most part, identical.

I don't think it's that weird. The tests are written so that they cover a wide range of material and that people get consistent scores (it wouldn't be fair if there was a consistently huge variance between different test dates). My AAMC practice tests were all within 1-2 points as well.

I don't think it's that weird. The tests are written so that they cover a wide range of material and that people get consistent scores (it wouldn't be fair if there was a consistently huge variance between different test dates). My AAMC practice tests were all within 1-2 points as well.
A major factor is how much time there is inbetween your practice tests. I take my FLs one week apart from one another. My first four AAMCs had an average of 33 (range of 31-36). I then stopped taking AAMC FLs for about a month and did the first four Kaplan FLs instead. After that I went back to doing AAMC FLs and my average from AAMC 8-10 is 37 (range of 36-37).

But yeah, if you're taking FLs one after another in short order then it's no surprise that you wind up with the same score each time.

You're right--some say AAMC 3 is easier, and some say it's similar to the other AAMCs. I understand that you want a straightforward answer so you can better assess your progress, but I don't think any premed on SDN can judge that for you. Just work hard and it'll pay off! Good luck :luck:

Hi, I'll be taking my MCAT in about two weeks - April 4 - and have been studying since January. I wish I felt more confident about it but doubt I'll ever feel 100%.

Regardless, I am confused on what to be doing/studying because I have so much material that I still havent used. I have 5 Berkeley CBTs left and 6 AAMC as well as Self Assessments. I'm scoring BS 11- 12 VR 11- 12 PS 8 - 9. I clearly have room for improvement but don't know if covering certain material, like 1001 questions is a waste of my time. Help!

My study plan is taking a test everyday for this upcoming week (all berkeleys and one AAMC) and then the next week taking an AAMC every other day and not taking any two days prior to the real exam. In between I'm going over weak areas and have done one self assessment (chem) which seemed helpful.

I'll appreciate any advice! Thanks :)

Hi, I'll be taking my MCAT in about two weeks - April 4 - and have been studying since January. I wish I felt more confident about it but doubt I'll ever feel 100%.

Regardless, I am confused on what to be doing/studying because I have so much material that I still havent used. I have 5 Berkeley CBTs left and 6 AAMC as well as Self Assessments. I'm scoring BS 11- 12 VR 11- 12 PS 8 - 9. I clearly have room for improvement but don't know if covering certain material, like 1001 questions is a waste of my time. Help!

My study plan is taking a test everyday for this upcoming week (all berkeleys and one AAMC) and then the next week taking an AAMC every other day and not taking any two days prior to the real exam. In between I'm going over weak areas and have done one self assessment (chem) which seemed helpful.

I'll appreciate any advice! Thanks :)

If you are taking that many full lengths, I wouldn't worry about the EK 1001 questions. You are essentially doing a ton of questions on the full lengths. Instead, make sure you review what you got wrong and go over anything you don't know.