Two-year gap, Grad school vs. Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jermsss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am graduating this Spring with a BS in Biology. I will have to take a two year gap between undergrad and med school due to family issues. I was wondering what would be the best thing to do for the time being. I was considering getting my masters, but my undergrad GPA isn't EXTREMELY bad, and I would rather not spend the extra money unless I absolutely have to. If I decide not to do grad school, I was planning on working as a lab tech and EMT for the two years. Here are my stats:

Undergrad cGPA=3.71
sGPA=3.7
MCAT= taking this summer

Lab experience= none
Clinical experience= 500hrs geriatric dept. volunteer at NY Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Hospital
500hrs emergency dept. volunteer at Long Beach Medical Center
300hrs emergency dept. volunteer at South Nassau Communities Hospital
Shadowing= 1000+hrs (ED physician, Infectious Disease/Internal Medicine physician, General Surgeon)
Along with several hundred hours of volunteer work with several different organizations (shelters, relief funds, breast cancer, food banks, red cross)
I am also a physics and organic chemistry tutor

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

:whoa:1000 hrs of shadowing :thinking: .... :claps:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was with someone almost every week since I began undergrad :shrug:

I already have an offer to work in my professor's lab. I've taken graduate level bio lab courses in my school, so it's not like i'm completely unexperienced

Please guys, I'm not looking for any sarcastic, meaningless comments.

You probably don't need to go to a grad school just to raise your GPA. Get a job. It probably doesn't have to be research. Usually research positions require 2-3 years of commitment. If I were you, I would get a proper job and make some money during my gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your input. Would taking more than 1 gap year affect my application at all? I guess that's my main concern. I only recently found out that I would have to take a second year off and I don't want it to offset my chances

I doubt it.

But I'd also recommend taking at least one difficult biology class for at least one semester before matriculating into med school.
It won't affect your application really, but it'll lessen the upcoming academic shock :p

I wouldn't take 2 years off unless you want that time off from school. Your app looks solid granted you do fine in the mcat. Just do EMT work and get that research job.

Thanks for your input. Would taking more than 1 gap year affect my application at all? I guess that's my main concern. I only recently found out that I would have to take a second year off and I don't want it to offset my chances

I took two years off. It didn't cause any problems. As long as you are productive and can show how you used the time off, you are fine. It won't offset your chances even if you took two years off.

I wouldn't take 2 years off unless you want that time off from school.

Gap years usually mean time off from school (or between schools). I don't understand why you are advising against 2 years off.

I'll have worked for 5 years by the time I start med school, given I get in for next fall.

I would do clinical research if possible in a place where they'd want you to be able to work with patients. It'll help a lot come application times. Basic science isn't a bad option at all, but I think clinical might be helpful in your case. Then again, publications are publications and if you can continue working with a prof you know and keep on doing research and get something more out of it then that's a great option as well.

Taking time off between undergrad and med school is never a bad thing if you use that time wisely.

When you say work as a lab tech, do you mean preparing media and routine things? Or will you get to work on a project, by yourself or at least under supervision? The latter is much better for your resume, but I'd be surprised to see a PI hire someone with no prior lab experience for that purpose. But I'll assume it's the latter, just as a best-case scenario.

I am certain that working and getting 2 years of research and EMT experience is a much, much better alternative than getting a masters in biology or something. First off, your undergrad GPA is fine, most medical school averages hover around 3.7 anyway. Besides, your undergraduate GPA is a separate entity from graduate GPA, so it wouldn't even help. A masters in biology wouldn't help your medical career significantly (maybe a MPH would be useful), and it'll be a massive money sink. Any research techniques you learn in that masters program you could just as easily learn by working in the lab, and I doubt the additional coursework will help you much.

If you're going to use these 2 years as a time to grow and learn independence, then I think working full-time is the better alternative than going back-to-back undergrad to grad to med school. Also, it's nice to have a little extra cash to finance your application cycle, and to treat yourself once in a while.

I just graduated now and I plan to apply next year, so I will also have 2 gap years. The financial aspect was a big reason that I chose not to go to grad school during my 2 gap years. I plan to become an EMT and hopefully will be able to find a job. If so, I will both be making money and gaining hands-on experience. I also plan to take a few more science classes to raise my GPA.

I've never done research either, as it does not interest me, but I am considering looking for a research position as well - just something basic to give me some experience.

Taking more than one gap year will not hurt your app. I'd argue that as long as you are doing productive things (like research/working as an EMT) it will only make your app better. I also would not advise you to do grad school, your gpa is good and the extra classes aren't really going to help you be more prepared. I took 2 gap years and I think it really helped me 1. make my app better (I did full time research) 2. gain some maturity, which has ultimately made me feel more prepared to face medical school.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your time off :)