two yr. old pet - separation anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LorinE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will most probably be leaving home to go away to med school but what am I supposed to do with my two yr. old kitten/cat? I can't just abandon her!!! She's really been there for me - staying up with me while I've studied for the MCAT into the wee hours of the morning... I have no idea what I am going to do... L.

Members don't see this ad.

Take her with you! You'll be glad you did. I don't know what I would do without my baby.

Definitely take her. I have 10-month-old kittens, and one of the reasons I got them last year when I did was so they'd be trained and out of the super-destructive phase in time to come to med school with me and serve as stress relief. So far they've made my life so much better, I don't know how I'd make it through med school without them.

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you guys live off campus? I doubt that I can bring my little one with me to on campus housing. -L

I'm not in school yet but I'm planning to live off campus. The cats are one reason, but also I've been out of school for a few years and accumulated furniture, as well as just getting used to having space and my own kitchen. No way could I go back to living in a dorm.

LorinE said:
So do you guys live off campus? I doubt that I can bring my little one with me to on campus housing. -L

Ookay then I guess you're S.O.L. Sorry!

I'm definitely taking my two rascal kitties with me wherever I go. Cats are somewhat nostalgic creatures and may take some time adjusting to a new place, but if you love them and give them what they need they'll adjust fine! Take your kitties with you!!!

If you choose to give her up, please find someone who won't do that to her again. You should never have gotten a pet unless your intentions were to KEEP HER FOREVER.

stinkycheese said:
If you choose to give her up, please find someone who won't do that to her again. You should never have gotten a pet unless your intentions were to KEEP HER FOREVER.
I don't think that is fair to say. She obviously doesn't mean for her to have to give it up, she is just commenting that she will miss them. Some on-campus housing might allow small pets or you could just blatently disregard (I know a few people that did this) so colleges are better than others. Other than that, I wish you luck. Maybe someone could keep her for a little until you move off campus?

why do you have to live in on campus housing? no school forces you to do that and often times its not even that much cheaper (at harvard and tufts, for example) If I had a pet, I wouldn't live in any housing that didn't allow them and be forced to give them up. they are like children! i really want a cat but unfortunately my boyfriend is very allergic...

Ok maybe I should elaborate... "my" kitten is actually the family pet so if/when I do have to leave for school I will leave her with my parents. It's true that I didn't intend to leave her - but I got rejected from the schools in my home town. Also, sorry for using the word "abandon" in my origninal post. I would never abandon an animal. I am just very emotional about being apart from her and I feel guilty for possibly having to leave her behind.
I am not necessarily living on campus but I haven't begun apartment searching yet and I can only live off campus if I find some place within my range. The other thing is that if I do take the little love of my life with me I will be taking her away from both of my parents and my brother as well. Is that kind of evil of me? She is very very attached to us all. She is one of those cats that really really really loves her owner(s) but is very suspicious of everyone else. -L.
P.S. Thanks for all the advice everyone - at least I know I'm not alone in this situation. Anyone possibly leaving a boyfriend/girlfriend behind also? I am in that situation too - I welcome any insight.

Oh I see. That is rough. I guess for the cat, it is better to have a whole house to roam in then a little apartment. I may be leaving a boyfriend behind but not sure yet if i'll even need to leave and if i do , he may come with me. would yours ever consider that? I was also thinking that a year of distance wouldn't be so bad and if we were still together after that, maybe him relocating would be a good idea. Ugh, it sucks leaving loved ones behind!!! that's what i fear the most about this whole process actually and am driving myself crazy hoping i can stay here.

LorinE said:
Ok maybe I should elaborate... "my" kitten is actually the family pet so if/when I do have to leave for school I will leave her with my parents. It's true that I didn't intend to leave her - but I got rejected from the schools in my home town. Also, sorry for using the word "abandon" in my origninal post. I would never abandon an animal. I am just very emotional about being apart from her and I feel guilty for possibly having to leave her behind.
I am not necessarily living on campus but I haven't begun apartment searching yet and I can only live off campus if I find some place within my range. The other thing is that if I do take the little love of my life with me I will be taking her away from both of my parents and my brother as well. Is that kind of evil of me? She is very very attached to us all. She is one of those cats that really really really loves her owner(s) but is very suspicious of everyone else. -L.
P.S. Thanks for all the advice everyone - at least I know I'm not alone in this situation. Anyone possibly leaving a boyfriend/girlfriend behind also? I am in that situation too - I welcome any insight.

LorinE said:

Thanks for the clarification. Makes me happy to know that your kitten will still have a home in your family even if you can't take her to school.

I am facing the same situation, but my two kitties are definitely coming with me (see my avatar!). I know they will miss the other members of my family, but they'll have each other (they're littermates), and they'll adjust. And you'll be home for the breaks during school, so it's not like your cat will never see the other family members again.

I think I would be very sad and depressed without my kitties around. I can't imagine going away to med school without them. :scared:

Something to consider is otherways to save money to be able to afford living off campus. Maybe there's a bus line near the apartments that goes to campus, and you could save the cost of a parking pass on campus, as well as gas getting there everyday.

Good luck!

I know - you're right about it probably being better to leave her here at home. :( My guy has been looking for jobs close to my school - he has actually had some luck so he MAY go with me but if he gets a better offer I suppose I wouldn't want him to give that up. He is applying this June though and said he has no prob going to my med school because he likes it.
I usually do well with a strong emotional support system so the fact that I will be miles and miles and miles away from the 'rents, my bro, my bf and kitty make me feel like I am choosing between my career and well, everything else! I would never give up this opportunity though - I'm so happy I got in to a nice school. The part of me that isn't nervous about leaving my loved ones is excited about starting med school.

CarleneM said:
Oh I see. That is rough. I guess for the cat, it is better to have a whole house to roam in then a little apartment. I may be leaving a boyfriend behind but not sure yet if i'll even need to leave and if i do , he may come with me. would yours ever consider that? I was also thinking that a year of distance wouldn't be so bad and if we were still together after that, maybe him relocating would be a good idea. Ugh, it sucks leaving loved ones behind!!! that's what i fear the most about this whole process actually and am driving myself crazy hoping i can stay here.