TX, Male, Asian WAMC cGPA: 3.582, sGPA: 3.565, MCAT: 505

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metallurker

Reaction score
Hello all I am a 22 y/o Asian (indian) Male born and raised in Texas and attending university in Texas. Currently in final semester of senior year and just got my mcat results back the other week looking for some non biased opinions.

Academics

cGPA: 3.582 but if I get all A's this last semester cGPA will be a 3.620
sGPA: 3.565 but if I get all A's this last semester sGPA will be a 3.582

upward trend from freshman too now.

MCAT takes:

1st take in January 2019: 500 (126/123/125/126)
2nd take August 2019: 503 (126/124/126/127)
3rd try March 2020: 505 (128/124/126/127)

Extra-curriculars

Clinical volunteering:
372 hours as a sexual assault crisis advocate where I will go into local ER's, that are signed up with the advocacy center I volunteer at, and will assist a SANE Nurse in conducting a SANE exam (a sexual assault forensic evidence collection exam) on the survivors, I will interact and speak with and inform the survivors, and the family/guardian/friends or any other company that brought the survivors (if any) to the ER. Was trained to do this in freshman year and had my first case in freshman year.

Non-clinical volunteering:
12 Hours spent assisting at 2 annual Health Fairs in the area where physicians would provide free consultations to any member of the public.

1,155 hours as a sexual assault hotline advocate where I will take an on call phone and binder with various forms and over the course of the shift (I usually sign up for shifts that span the entire weekend and I do this once a month) I will receive calls from people seeking general information about sexual assault or SANE exams, or receive calls from a charge nurse that works at one of the ER's we serve informing me that they have a survivor in their ER who is requesting a SANE exam at which point I will then collect general info and will then coordinate the dispatch of the on call SANE nurse and the on call crisis advocate, or I will receive calls from survivors of sexual assault who are experiencing flashbacks and trauma and need somebody to speak to immediately. Was trained to do this in freshman year and started in freshman year.

Shadowing:
25.01 hours with a Nephrologist in an outpatient clinical setting
55.5 hours with a Psychiatrist in an outpatient clinical setting

Research:
90 hours as a research assistant in an on-campus lab
464 hours of research in a lab at UT Southwestern

Employment:
160 hours as a TA in a science class (I'm not paid but I didn't know where to put this)

Awards:
1 poster presentation at a symposium, 1 PowerPoint presentation at a symposium, and 1 pending publication
Eagle Scout (very formative process for me and my Eagle Scout project was the main subject of my personal statement and the biggest reason I became attracted to medicine)

LOR
-Psychiatrist I shadowed he is a D.O.
-The head coordinator of the sexual assault advocacy I volunteer at
-The professor I TA for (have taken multiple classes with them including the class I TA for right now)
-O.Chem professor (took the same prof for O.Chem 1 and 2 and got an A+ in both)
-Committee Rec. Letter

If I left anything out please let me know and I will be happy to provide additional info. Overall I would like to apply M.D. What schools to add schools to my list.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if your clinical volunteering can be classified as clinical volunteering? I say this because I do the exact same work for my gap year but I considered this experience to be non-clinical. In fact, I don’t even see the survivors as patients in need of medical attention, at least over hotline. Maybe this is different in the ER but even then, I don’t know if the position as a advocate is a clinical position. Just never seemed like it to me since the SANE is not a medical exam.

Id tread lightly as this is considered your only clinical experience. It might be useful to tack on a second experience like hospital volunteering, CNA, scribing ect. to be on the safe side

You are not competitive for MD programs. You should apply widely to 20+ DO schools. Your non-clinical volunteering is also quite low.

Edit: You may have a shot at TCU-UNT and UTRGV, but even your best MCAT is too low for the other TX schools—especially with a low GPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all your Texas MD schools and you may receive 1 or 2 interviews. You should apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest these:
TCOM
SAM HOUSTON STATE
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
AZCOM
CUSOM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)

Reactions: 1 user
With three MCAT's that have clustered, you're baked at around 503 for your MCAT. I agree that DO's are your best option, and to apply to TMDSAS schools that have a history of taking applicants with your GPA/MCAT profile.

You may be able to snag MD interviews if you wait another year before applying but it's gonna be tough with your stats. You'll have to up your non-clinical volunteering and I highly recommend volunteering in an underserved area. The lower stat TX schools will like this.

Hi all I just saw all these replies thank you for taking time out of your day to assist me. One change I'd like to tell you all is that I accidentally combined my clinical volunteering activities incorrectly. I have updated the original post to reflect the correct orientation I had it on my application.

I’m not sure if your clinical volunteering can be classified as clinical volunteering? I say this because I do the exact same work for my gap year but I considered this experience to be non-clinical. In fact, I don’t even see the survivors as patients in need of medical attention, at least over hotline. Maybe this is different in the ER but even then, I don’t know if the position as a advocate is a clinical position. Just never seemed like it to me since the SANE is not a medical exam.

Id tread lightly as this is considered your only clinical experience. It might be useful to tack on a second experience like hospital volunteering, CNA, scribing ect. to be on the safe side
Yes you're correct, on my application I listed the hotline calling position as non-clinical and the ER as clinical. I updated my original post to better reflect that. The SANE exam incorporates an history and thorough physical exam so I don't just speak with the survivors but I help and observe the SANE nurse conduct pelvic exams and other physical data collection