MD TX Res | 3.70 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA | 90-100% MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd989898

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my preliminary MCAT info:

Chem/Phys: at least 93%
CARS: 87%
Bio/Biochem: 87%
Psych/Soc: at least 93%
Overall - at least 91% or 514 (or 33 on old test)

Unless I get either particularly unlucky or lucky, I think 95% overall (516) is a reasonable estimate. (34-35 on old test)

-White male traditional applicant
-3 yrs research experience (three projects, two of them paid positions including REU, one poster presentation)
-250+ hrs clinical volunteering
-80+ hours shadowing 2 specialties
-1000+ hours at one long term nonclinical volunteering position
-3 significant teaching/tutoring jobs (including a leadership position at my university)
- 1 or 2 years of random employment during undergrad
-3 LORS (two from PIs on my longest project, one from science prof)

I'm applying MD/PhD so research is heavily emphasized in my app. I'm passionate about a relatively unpopular area of research for medicine, and I talk a LOT about how I've taken steps to prepare myself for that developing field etc.

How do you all think I will fare at the TX MD schools?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would especially appreciate @Goro 's and @gyngyn 's input. Can I expect to interview at most Tx md programs and maybe go 1 for 3 on acceptances? Ultimately I'm hoping for mstp at Baylor or Southwestern.

Last edited:
Can't speak for MD/PhD, especially in TX, but my take is that they're highly rarified. I expect that you'll get lots of IIs form TX schools. Chances for acceptances are on you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you familiar with TX schools, @Banco ? I've been looking at the MSAR, and stats-wise it seems I'm on target for schools like Tech/Galveston/UTSA/UTH and a reach for Baylor/UTSW/Dell. Is it safe to say I'd have to mess up pretty badly to get in nowhere in TX?

As far MD/PhD goes, I know they generally matriculate higher stats than MD only which is discouraging, but I'm hoping my passion for research will shine through.

Your GPA and MCAT are both below average for MD/PhD programs (3.8/35 are average). Your research experience is fine but there will be applicants applying with papers and other accomplishments. It'll be tough sledding.

You are competitive for the Texas schools. That should be your focus.

Your GPA and MCAT are both below average for MD/PhD programs (3.8/35 are average). Your research experience is fine but there will be applicants applying with papers and other accomplishments. It'll be tough sledding.

You are competitive for the Texas schools. That should be your focus.
Thanks, I'm hoping my heavy focus on research in my tmdsas app doesn't make me less attractive for MD only!

Thanks, I'm hoping my heavy focus on research in my tmdsas app doesn't make me less attractive for MD only!
The rub is that it usually takes the MD PhD committee so long to process the application that by the time they decide against an MSTP candidate, the MD class is already filled.
I don't know if they have managed to overcome this in TX, but this has been my observation at other schools.
If (in TX) they can see that you applied MD PhD to some programs and MD to others, the MD programs may feel that you would prefer a combined program.
This is a situation where you really need inside advice on strategy that fits your state's idiosyncrasies.

The rub is that it usually takes the MD PhD committee so long to process the application that by the time they decide against an MSTP candidate, the MD class is already filled.
I don't know if they have managed to overcome this in TX, but this has been my observation at other schools.
Yikes.. Hopefully I get at least a couple bites. If MD/PhD ends up shooting me in the foot that'd be a shame to say the least.

I am unfortunately not that educated on the TX system. Intuitively though if your MCAT comes out to be 35+ then TX schools will be in reach (and your best shot), and I'd say you'd be competitive just judging from numbers for MD/PhD matrics.

Your overall application and research is great.