TX school rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoronaBOY

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the rank for all the Texas medical school?
besides Southwestern being #1 in TX...

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor, Southwestern, and TCOM are all ranked according to US News, the others are not.

Baylor is #1 in Texas followed closely by UT-Southwestern

The others aren't ranked, but based on average GPA/MCAT it would seem:

1. Baylor
2. UT-Southwestern
(gargantuan gap in quality)
3. UT-Houston
4. Texas A&M
5. Texas Tech
6. UT-Galveston
7. UT-San Antonio

Also for 3-7, as you might see, they are all pretty close together and are all unranked by US News. Furthermore, many of these schools dont' report all their stats.

I would be interested to hear other people's rankings, however subjective, on this topic (my above post is relatively subjective, as it deals with MCAT/GPA only, and for some schools the stats for all aren't even posted).

Members don't see this ad :)
1. UT-Southwestern
2. Baylor
3. UT-San Antonio
4. UT-Houston
5. UT-Galveston
6. Texas Tech
7. Texas A & M

Baylor is ranked higher than UT-Southwestern in US News.

The others I got data from either the MSAR or Princeton Review

Thanks for your replies...:)
it seems that everyone has different ranking...besides baylor and SW...
I just wanted to know so that i can make my match list among the other TX school...
Does it really matter which school you go among these when you try to match for the residency?
I mean that as does one school has favor over others later on when we try to get a competitive residency...
Thanks

why is everyone so concerned about rankings???? just go where you want to go... not where US news tells you.
p

I agree, rankings shouldn't mean a thing when you're thinking about which school to go to. At any school in Texas you WILL be competitive for good residencies so don't base your decision about that. Go to the school that you think you will be happiest at. Not about how good it looks to someone else. You're the one going to spend 4 + years there, it would suck if it was someplace you didn't like much but went because of what it might do for you later. Consider the curriculum, the mindset and personalities of the students there, where you would be living, stuff like that.

Oh I should have added, DO NOT use anyone else's rank list for your own purposes!!! You dont know why they put the schools the certain way that they did. Rank the schools according to how you really want to go to them, not on the opinions of other people. Also, DO NOT rank the schools according to what you believe is the likelyhood of the schools accepting you, it's another way that you'll get stuck at a school that you don't like. Rank them according to your actual preference, nothing else.