TX schools for non-resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eunice

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi..
wondering if anyone knows how generous TX schools are toward non-residents..
I know Baylor(although it's private, it's publically funded) is not as biased but the UT schools...??
anyone know?

I don't know if i should even try to UT southwestern or UT houston..

thanks!
eunice

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that the 98% number is correct for the UT medical schools. All the schools are limited to 10% out of state spots (20 for all the big schools). Most of the schools actually fill in close to that number. I applied and was interviewed at all the UT schools except Houston. I would definitely try Southwestern if you have good numbers. San Antonio also lets in a good number of out of staters who tend to be a little less traditional (ie lower numbers, exceptional ecs). I've heard that in Houston, the Dean has to personally okay an interview for each applicant. If they don't think you will go to their school, you probably won't get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Southwestern likes out of staters too....the other schools only seem to want someone who has some sort of ties to the state or, I'd imagine, some very strong reason for wanting the school.

well, i interviewed at houston, and i was asked by both of my interviewers about my commitment to texas. i am a california resident who went to school in san antonio so i had some ties to texas, and i think this helped me on my interviews. in terms of out of staters, i know that ut southwestern takes in the most (my advisor recommended the school to me). i know that all of the schools will interview out of staters. getting in? there were 3 or 4 out of staters in my school who applied to the ut system, and only one of us got in (utmb). i do not know how my friend ranked utmb when it came time to rank the schools, but i am sure she put utmb ahead of tech and a&m. i was ultimately waitlisted at ut houston. baylor interviews a lot of out of state people every year so i would try them too.

i'm a CA resident, did my undergrad at UCLA, applied to all TX schools, and was interviewed (and accepted) by only one--UT Southwestern. incidentally, its their policy to offer in-state tuition to out-of-state students, so it became cheaper for me to attend a UT over a UC.

thanks guys for your input!
I think i will try for UT southwestern
and Baylor!
=)

eunice

I would really appreciate any and all info about the UT schools..
PBL vs. Lecture
P/F?
traditional vs. organ sys..
weather?
the area..

thanks!
eunice