tying in leadership positions to dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXpredent

Always confused
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have held quite a few leadership positions in my fraternity (pledge trainer, vice president, president) and am currently an SGA senator. None of it really applies to dentistry directly though and I was wondering how some of yall were tying in your leadership roles into dentistry on your personal statements? I want to talk about them but can't figure out how just yet...

edit: what about undergraduate research? I did some research that was also non-dental related.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have held quite a few leadership positions in my fraternity (pledge trainer, vice president, president) and am currently an SGA senator. None of it really applies to dentistry directly though and I was wondering how some of yall were tying in your leadership roles into dentistry on your personal statements? I want to talk about them but can't figure out how just yet...

edit: what about undergraduate research? I did some research that was also non-dental related.

LOL frats and dentistry...yeah right

LOL frats and dentistry...yeah right

Yeah I don't think I meant Greek Life and dentistry, I meant leadership positions in non-dental related organizations. Like SGA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I don't think I meant Greek Life and dentistry, I meant leadership positions in non-dental related organizations. Like SGA.

Oh. Dentists are business leaders who motivate their entire dental office team. When there's a problem at the office the hierarchy of authority ends at you the dentist. Has there ever been a problem from the lower rungs of your "frat" chain of command that you've had to settle as vice president? How'd you make sure that everyone's interest were taken care of or compromised? Take us through your thought process.

i dont think it matters whether the position you held was dental related or not. any leadership position is always a great talking point in my opinion. even fraternity life, especially if you held some sort of officer position. in fact, i would think it would strengthen your position as it will separate you from the hundreds of people that were in student dental associations, and have the same number of shadowing/volunteer hours at a dental clinic, etc. but that is my highly uninformed opinion seeing as im an applicant as well.

I was my fraternity's recruitment chairman, new member educator, as well as President and talked about my experience in these positions and how they translate to the dentistry. The leadership and skills gained through these positions (not just fraternal, but any student organization) will certainly help in the field of dentistry: communication, empathy, professionalism, service, philanthropy, and learning to lead a team. Plus as a dentist you are a leader in your community (same goes for doctors, lawyers, senators, etc.) so the skills that you learned in these positions can most certainly translate over. You'll be ahead of some of your classmates who didn't look to hold a leadership position in your community/school/student organization. Good luck!

everyone has their writing styles and whatnot but... ultimately, your PS should be about you, about your journey to healthcare and why you picked dentistry (out of all other careers).

I just don't see how you can tie a fraternity leadership position to this career choice. Trying to sound "good" in a PS is not a good idea (IMO), stick to something basic, simple, and most importantly, "why do you want dentistry" this should be your theme.

there are places on the AADSAS application that asks you to list your achievements / leadership positions / etc. This is where you put that information.

everyone has their writing styles and whatnot but... ultimately, your PS should be about you, about your journey to healthcare and why you picked dentistry (out of all other careers).

I just don't see how you can tie a fraternity leadership position to this career choice. Trying to sound "good" in a PS is not a good idea (IMO), stick to something basic, simple, and most importantly, "why do you want dentistry" this should be your theme.

there are places on the AADSAS application that asks you to list your achievements / leadership positions / etc. This is where you put that information.

I agree. It should be more about why dentistry and not I'll probably, maybe most likely, be a better dentist through my position as a fraternity leader.
If you really wanted to talk about your fraternity story you'd have to be a little creative to fit that into answering the question "why dentistry?"

Ehh friends, would just like sum info... I was the leader of my gang for like 3 months, could I put this on my app and how would y'all tie it into your ps?

Poeece!

Yeah, I agree with a lot of yall how a leadership position is important in running a dental office etc, I just didn't know how to best tie it into the "why I want to be a dentist" thing. There are optional essays that I might try and think of how I could fit the leadership roles in there. I appreciate the input

I added, Black Ops Party leader: I invite my friends. I direct them where to go/defend in search & destroy.

:p

Last edited: