Type of research publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joker88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a research project for the trauma dept at my school. Its more of a public health project and we're working on a manuscript to get published. Does it matter the type of research you do for residency? Is it important to branch out in research for residency? For example do bench work (get a pub) and then do clinical as well? Im just starting as an MS2 so im not sure what i want to go into but this project sounded interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

I have a mixture of clinical and bench research with publications, grants, presentations in both. I have learned a lot about the scientific method from both. However, they are vastly different things and I have learned a lot about the research method from different aspects from both - a point I plan to bring up during interviews. I feel that I personally am a better scientist because of having exposure to both.

I will tell you that if you have never done basic science research and want to do it now just for residencies, you won't like it. It is a lot slower and realistically, harder to publish on a project. That being said, you will learn a lot about study design, controlling for con founders, and more importantly how to tell a story in a way (with evidence) where the only possible conclusion is the one that you're telling the reader.

Hopefully this helps. It doesn't answer your question because I don't think your question has a definitive answer - at least one that I would be satisfied with.

Just 1 person's opinion.

Does it really matter if you get published? Or if you can talk about your research experience in the interview and how you made a poster or presentation, is that acceptable for residency directors? Shouldn't they care more about what you learned rather than what you published...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks nesir. i really appreciate your response. Anyone else have any opinions?

I'm doing a research project for the trauma dept at my school. Its more of a public health project and we're working on a manuscript to get published. Does it matter the type of research you do for residency? Is it important to branch out in research for residency? For example do bench work (get a pub) and then do clinical as well? Im just starting as an MS2 so im not sure what i want to go into but this project sounded interesting.

Does it really matter if you get published?

I really doubt I'm the first person to tell you guys this, but: at this point, everything matters (especially if you are thinking about a competitive field). Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Anything that takes longer or requires more effort is going to look more favorable once accomplished. That's not to say thing that are easier to do are not valuable, but there is a gradient scale of impressiveness.

Shouldn't they care more about what you learned rather than what you published...
If you were a program director, what would you care about? Anyone can say they learned something, but it takes a lot of work to get a journal to publish something.

yeah,i think so,it takes a lot of work to get a journal to publish something.
6hfzzw

GET IT PUBLISHED.
For residency apps: Anything that is published is better than (ALMOST) anything that is NOT published.

If you have a short amount of time, do clinical. It's easier to get published by jumping onto a chart review project. Some specialties like bench > clinical, but at the end of the day getting a publication (or a poster, or an abstract) is better than "doing it for the experience". This isn't med school admissions. You need your name on something, presented/published somewhere, for most people to give a rats ass about what you wasted your time on. Unless you're doing it for fun. In which case, god bless you and your ability to waste time for no reason.

GET IT PUBLISHED.
For residency apps: Anything that is published is better than (ALMOST) anything that is NOT published.

If you have a short amount of time, do clinical. It's easier to get published by jumping onto a chart review project. Some specialties like bench > clinical, but at the end of the day getting a publication (or a poster, or an abstract) is better than "doing it for the experience". This isn't med school admissions. You need your name on something, presented/published somewhere, for most people to give a rats ass about what you wasted your time on. Unless you're doing it for fun. In which case, god bless you and your ability to waste time for no reason.

Which specialties would those be?