Types of OMT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeaparker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me how many types of OMT there are??

If possible please also list each and give a brief description of each type of OMT.....

Thanks,

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone help me out with this topic?? I'm kind of desperate!

Thanks..

Mike

This is how they classify them at KCOM...

Inherent force: holding tissue/joint at balanced ligamentous tension until the restricted tissues return to homeostasis.

Respiratory force: uses the action of the thoracic cage and "air hunger" in order to a) relax tissues, b)enhance position of the area under treatment, c)provide respiratory impulse.

Muscle Energy: activating force of physician is opposed by patient in order to relax muscle tissues. May be used directly or indirectly.

High Velocity Low Amplitude: take a joint to the restricted barrier and then "pop" it a little further.

Springing: gently spring against the restrictive barrier.

Soft Tissue:
inhibition - steady pressure to soft tissues to effect relaxation

stretching and kneading - self explanatory

petrissage and skin rolling - deep kneading and squeezing (ouch!)

deep friction - deepest kneeding to work out fibrotic changes

effleurage- lightly stroking the skin to move fluids into and along lymph channels.

counterstrain: "wrap" patient around tenderpoint and hold for 90 seconds until tenderpoint relaxes.(this is the craziest one and it works!)

There are a bunch more, but I'm in the middle of studying for finals and that's all I can think of during my break from biochem. Hope it helps a little!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks a million !!!

:)

Mike

craniosacral-the idea that the primary rhythm of the body is the CSF inhaling/exhaling through an swelling during production, and relaxation during absorption.
I too am studying for finals, and am not able to think about anything other than biochem..

Biz, who are you?

toran...if i told you, i'd have to kill you.

freaking out about anatomy yet? i am and can barely concentrate on biochem today.

alright, now it's just not funny....
I will find you biz, and I will put an end to all of this funny-bizness
T