Typewriter died halfway thru GTown Secondary - handwrite the rest??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woolie

Intermountain West
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course, my final secondary is the one where my flimsy office typewriter decides to take a hike. I have the rest of the first page left and no typewriter. I can't seem to fix it this time, either.

I was going to call them up and ask them for another form, or ask them what they suggest I should do. I really like my essay so I feel pretty good about the application. Does anyone think I am sunk if I hand write the rest? I'm sure it will look weird but then what are my choices here? It's pretty late as it is, November 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you go to a public library and use a typewriter there? The typeset may look different, but at least you wouldn't have to handwrite the rest.

Some Kinko's have typewriters. You might want to call around and see if any nearby have them to use in their computer labs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have called the local Kinkos and they said no typewriters, which is weird because they have a kinkos up at the local Univ so you might think they would need one. I also called the libraries and they referred me to the local "Workforce Services" office, also really known as the welfare office.

I feel a little funny walking into a welfare office asking them if I can use their clients typewriter.

So far, none of my friends have a typewriter either ... these were really great suggestions, too! I hate to think that typwriters might be going extinct.

My school's career center has a couple. Does your school offer one?

So when you say "died," I'm assuming you don't mean that the print ribbon just ran out or something that a trip to Office Depot would solve? We're talking total death here?? Is this Murphy's Law or what?

One of the offices at your university should have one. Go to the registrar's office or somewhere like that. The university library probably has one as well.

Failing that, I would just suck it up and go to the welfare office. Or just call and ask for another copy of the secondary!

Well, last time the ribbon died but this time it started out making weird heiroglyphics, then righted itself, then it began to type at weird heights, and finally at one point the little hammer thing just stopped actually hitting the ribbon. :rolleyes:

I had gotten pretty good at coaxing it back from these rediculous spasms before, but this time - no hammer, so that was about that.

I'll have to scour the Univ or just cave and call and ask them for a new form. The welfare office is only rumored to have one ... argh !!

it's not really a big deal to handwrite the secondary... i did, even whited out some stuff, and got an interview within about ten days of a returning it to them. (aside from the essay, which can and should be done on computer)

Go to a couple local Salvation Army's (or some other thrift stores) and look for some. Bring a piece of printer paper or two so that you can test them out in the store. I found a ton and got one in "like new" condition for $12.

If you're still working on secondaries in November, you've already saved Georgetown the trouble of reading your application. You might as well throw it away and save yourself a little money.

If you're going to finish it, use a typewriter. See the excellent suggestions above. I second the idea of using a library typewriter.

Good luck,
doepug (MS IV)

Please don't handwrite the rest...that is soo tacky. Go to a kinko's or something. Libraries have computers/type writers. Go to your nearby college and try to pass your way into their library.

at my school, i typed a paper at the local university security office... that was cool...

but since ive been out, im a little more technical, i have the full version of adobe acrobat, so i can do those on computer, or if i had to, i could just scan in a document as text and then type that way.... typing allows it to look neat, spell checked, customized, and add a lot more information... yay.

If you're still working on secondaries in November, you've already saved Georgetown the trouble of reading your application. You might as well throw it away and save yourself a little money.

i usually don't post up here... but i thought this was a little rude... my roommate last year sent in the secondary just before the deadline and got an interview... so you don't know what you're talking about...

Thanks everybody for these great suggestions. I'd like to share something that happened today that just gives me the shivers.

Last night I was feeling like 'Oh my God this will never work out ... ' I emailed some friends as well and asked them if they had typewriters in their offices. I didn't feel too confident but you never know.

Well, today I got a call from someone who said she would drop off the one in her office when she drove up for class. I was in a meeting and thought: ok, cool. I had already called GTown to ask for another form so I figured I would just redo everything.

What do you know??? She brought the EXACT SAME model of typewriter, and the EXACT SAME daisy wheel font. And I mean, EXACT.

:eek:

So I just sat down and finished the form - including lining up the first numeral of my social security number.

Wow, I mean - just when I had almost completely given up. Such an incredible coincidence makes me feel like there's someone looking over my shoulder somewhere !

woolie, that is craziness! I'm glad it worked out for you. :clap: