Typical conditions treated by neurologists..... Daylight of a neurologist..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious... what do neurologists typically treat? What they they usually diagnose and prescribe? just wondering!

Members don't see this ad.

On my outpatient neuro rotation, on a typical day we saw pts with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, strokes, seizures, and back pain. Sometimes we got cases like MS, Ramsey hunt, chiari, Charcot, and other cool diagnoses.

Gabapentin, prednisone, levetiracetam and donepazil and their variations were the most prescribed meds.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On my outpatient neuro rotation, on a typical day we saw pts with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, strokes, seizures, and back pain. Sometimes we got cases like MS, Ramsey hunt, chiari, Charcot, and other cool diagnoses.

Gabapentin, prednisone, levetiracetam and donepazil and their variations were the most prescribed meds.
Cool! Current do student here interested in neuro. Is there anything i can do to prepare for an application to neuro res? Also how tough is it for a do student to match? Also asides from neuro exams what types of procedures do you commonly order and subsequently inteepret. And btw thanks for taking your time to ans my q!

Cool! Current do student here interested in neuro. Is there anything i can do to prepare for an application to neuro res? Also how tough is it for a do student to match? Also asides from neuro exams what types of procedures do you commonly order and subsequently inteepret. And btw thanks for taking your time to ans my q!
As you probably know, I'm also a DO student. I would feel much more confident in giving advice once I match. Therefore I'll skip the qs about competitiveness and whether or not it's tough for DOs to match.

One way you can prepare for a career in neurology, or any field in medicine, is to demonstrate a genuine interest in the field. This can be in form of doing research, doing an elective in neurology during third year, doing away rotations reputable programs, getting solid LORs, etc...

Neurologists can engage in a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures depending on their subspecialty and their work environment. To name few, EEGs, EMGs, LPs, Botox, Pain management, endovascular catheterization, and several ICU specific procedures if one is NCC trained.

The early morning in the life of a outpatient neurologist:
Patient 1: Follow-up patient with history of seizure disorder and remote cerebral hemorrhage. On levetiracetam and Celexa.

Patient 2: 58 year-old woman with new onset of transient visual symptoms, question of monocular versus homonymous. Prescribed aspirin.

Patient 3: Follow-up patient with history of cerebrovascular disease and neuropathy. Prescribed gabapentin, aspirin and simvastatin.

Patient 4: New patient with complaints of memory disturbance. Diagnostic evaluation ordered. No medications yet.

Patient 5: Follow-up of carpal tunnel patient. No medications prescribed.

Patient's 6: MS follow-up. Patient is receiving Rebif, sertraline, tizanidine.

Patient's 7: Patient with seizure disorder and cerebrovascular disease. Levetiracetam, simvastatin, aspirin.

That was my 9:30 patient. The morning continued from there. You get the idea.

Reactions: 1 user