typical day for first year Columbia dental student (D1)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babars

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any cdm freshman on? i would really really appreciate if you could give me the breakdown of a typical day/week. i am trying to decide which school to go to. i would love to go to columbia but i am really nervous about the time commitment involved as i have a child as well. i know that all schools require lots of time, but i would like to get a concrete sense of what is involved at columbia. thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Most days start at 10 and end around 3, 4, 5, or 6 -- let's say closer to 5 or 6 for two days out of the week and closer to 3 or 4 for two days out of the week. Fridays have usually started at 8 and concluded with a lab session where you can stay for as long as you can stand to work: most people leave by around 4 or 5. We usually get an hour for lunch, though occasionally we get 1.5 or 2 hours.

They are restructuring the curriculum starting with the class of 2013, so our D1 experience may be different from yours. But I would guess that classes will still be held at approximately the same times.

Last edited:
thank you so much. could i ask how much time outside of class you spend studying each night? do you like being in classes with med students? how do you feel about learning things that perhaps are not THAT important in the field of dentistry? and finally, what made you choose columbia over any other school you got into?
sorry for so many questions. i just want to make sure i make the right decision!
thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much. could i ask how much time outside of class you spend studying each night? do you like being in classes with med students? how do you feel about learning things that perhaps are not THAT important in the field of dentistry? and finally, what made you choose columbia over any other school you got into?
sorry for so many questions. i just want to make sure i make the right decision!
thanks again!
i like to know this too. As I read in this forum, columbia lacks clinical training, why whould you wanna go there?

For D3 and D4 students at Columbia. Do you those classes that you took with medstudents helped you on the board? How deep did those classes go to? as NYU, they are really focus on head and neck. while the rest of the body regions they just know a general info. or basically the profs told them that they only need to know a bit of that for the board and focus on the head and neck.

If it's possible, can you list those classes that you took with medstudents?

Thanks so much.

Hey guys --

I WILL answer your questions when I have the time to write a thorough and thoughtful response. I'm in the middle of finals right now, but check back here after the 20th?

All best!

Hey guys --

I WILL answer your questions when I have the time to write a thorough and thoughtful response. I'm in the middle of finals right now, but check back here after the 20th?

All best!
we are still waiting for you, squeegeediver.

These questions are still quite relevant, can a columbia student(s) answer them?
THANKS!

These questions are still quite relevant, can a columbia student(s) answer them?
THANKS!

I am a 4th year at Columbia, so I can probably answer a few of your questions. I actually enjoyed being in the med school classes. They definitely helped on the boards (that is, of course, if you actually put some effort into learning and remembering)- you don't have to kill yourself so much studying if you are already familiar with most of the info. Also, when seeing patients in the clinic, there is nothing that I have found baffling about their medical diagnoses, medications, etc. I think much of that is due to a little extra medical background.

About the clinical stuff:
Sure we don't have as much clinic time as some other schools, but I feel we get a good basis. If I were going into general dentistry (and several of my classmates are), I WOULD want to do an AEGD or GPR. Not that I feel like I wouldn't survive in the real world, or haven't performed enough procedures, but there is definitely a difference between any dental school and private practice. On a busy day here, I see a maximum of four or five patients - I would probably starve if that was my private practice daily load. It sure would be nice to have a buffer year in a PG program to allow me to speed up and get to do some cooler things (like implants rather than RPDs) without instructors over my shoulder. Its all about making yourself more marketable to a future employer when looking for an associateship. However, if I had a relative who was willing to take me under their wing in private practice, I have no doubt that I would be fine with my Columbia training. You will hear it a million more times - you can get as much out of the training as you want... if you work for it.

And, though many will deny it, the Columbia name doesn't hurt. Patients are getting more and more inquisitive about background, credentials, etc. Five years out of dental school, a Columbia grad can have the same speed and skill set as someone who graduated from the most clinically oriented school in the nation. But the average person seems to be impressed by the Columbia name (whether its fair, right, just, etc. or not). And with those med classes, a Columbia grad might just be a little more comfortable handling our country's aging, heavily diseased and medicated population... Just some thoughts.

I'm sure someone is already offended, but I'm just sharing some reasons I chose Columbia over a few others when it came down to that choice 4 years ago.

Feel free to ask anything else.

Have you heard any specifics about the new curriculum and if so, what are they and do you think they will make things better, worse or the same for the new students?

Thanks.

Have you heard any specifics about the new curriculum and if so, what are they and do you think they will make things better, worse or the same for the new students?

Thanks.

I am interested in this as well. Anyone have any updated information?

I'm visiting Columbia DS this saturday and I'd like to know a little more about their program as well. I'm considering them highly.

i don't think it'd be a good idea for you to visit the school on saturday. school's closed during the weekend!

i don't think it'd be a good idea for you to visit the school on saturday. school's closed during the weekend!

Actually it's open this weekend the 25th.

I'm taking part in CU's Spring Impressions Program. It's for undergrad pre-dents. Weather forecast says it's 79dF and sunny that day. :cool: