typical day of a student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vaneer1000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering what is a typical day for a medical student is like . How many hours do you commit to studying and other committments.

Members don't see this ad.

M-F
5am-8am Study
8am-12pm Class
1pm-3/5pm Class
3/5pm-6/8pm Study
On the weekends, I usually study 6-10 hours each day. I also take a 5min break for every hour I spend studying.

Good luck!

M-F
5am-8am Study
8am-12pm Class
1pm-3/5pm Class
3/5pm-6/8pm Study
On the weekends, I usually study 6-10 hours each day. I also take a 5min break for every hour I spend studying.

Good luck!

Mine was sorta the same while in class except, no way I got out of bed at 5am to study for 3 hours and I usually went till between 9 or 10. Now for boards its usually sleep in till 9, putt around the house getting stuff done in the morning, each lunch, then study all afternoon, eat dinner/go to gym, study all evening till about 9 or 10. I've just found I can't really be productive in the morning, so I just study in the afternoon and all evening. Probably should study, but whatever, its working for me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Class days (I don't go):
8am-10am workout (lift weights or jog)
noon-7:30pm study/stream
8-9:30 workout (MMA)
10pm-12am study/stream

Lab days
lab in am
noon - 7:30 study/stream
8-9:30 workout (MMA)
10pm-12am study/stream

weekends
prolly about 4-5 hours each day

Week before test = 12 hours+/day for reviewing with study partners

Basically, there is time to do things if you manage correctly. I'm able to workout often, but I'm very efficient with my study time and watch very little t.v. ,etc. Of course, the above is not a set schedule. I may skip the morning workout if I'm tired / have too much work to do.

sleep to whenever. (never went to class)
if it was the week after a test block, veg.
If not study a few hours, take a break and watch tv, study a few more, done by 8.

Did this every day and did really well for myself. There is no typical day for a medical student. Most schools allow you a lot of leeway and you need to figure out what you need to do to do well.

Hi I was wondering what is a typical day for a medical student is like . How many hours do you commit to studying and other committments.

I will refer you to August of last year when the same question was asked:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=312430

I will, however, repeat my answer in it's entirety (in case people are too lazy to click on the link :)).

7:00AM- Arrive home from all-night kegger at the beach
7:20AM- Feed the cat
7:21AM- Realize you don't have a cat
7:23AM- Water the flowers
7:24AM- Zip up pants after watering the flowers
7:25AM- Pass out
2:35PM- Wake up, realize you missed class, ask, "Who the hell are you?" to the rotund biker chick in your bed
2:40PM- Learn the true meaning to, "Suck-start a Harley."
3:30PM- Open Anatomy book
3:31PM- Close Anatomy book
3:32PM- Turn the TV to Maury Povich re-run, find out the name of the rotund biker chick in your bed
4:00PM- Chinese takeout
5:00PM- Open Anatomy book
5:01PM- Close Anatomy book
6:00PM- Take a shower so you can to tonight's party smelling fresh and clean
7:00PM- Walk out he door
7:01PM- Go back inside and look for prophylactics (in case you run into the rotund biker chick again)
7:05PM- Grab a beer as you leave your troubles behind

...NOT!!!!