Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Typical question about the school people come from, and the grades they get...

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by StaphRx, Dec 28, 2008.

1. StaphRx

2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    Hello.

I just had my friends openly sharing their thoughts with me, but neither of us really know how this will even factor into the admissions process. So, I'd like to hear about what everyone else thinks.

Do the pharmacy schools even consider the undergrad or program people are coming from and the grades they earn?

For instance, if someone went to a really great expensive Ivy-league and gets low grades in some of the pre-requisite courses, would that be compared to someone who went to a good 'cheaper' school, but with a possible higher grade in the same course? I think this is the typical question that sometimes cross people's minds. So I wonder if admissions would take these questions into consideration.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you went to the school with good reputation, here are a few things:

1) If you have the same GPA with other people, they will consider you more.
    2) If you have a low GPA compared to others, it will be hard for you to have more chance than others.
    3) Every school looks at it differenly. Midwestern likes students from more pretigous schools than others. I know it from experience.
    4) I do not think you cannot do anything except improve your GPA ( if you have a low one).

4. eightonesix

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I once heard a rumor that med schools (and maybe even applicable to adcoms in pharmacy schools) consider undergrad programs to a certain extent... seeing that an ivy league school is more competitive than a community college even though pre requisites are accepted from both institutions. (Not hating on the CC's, seeing as its cheaper per unit :D)

5. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun
    Pharmacist Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Not really sure, but I think they look higher at the "prestigious" schools. For example, I think that NYU uses a bell curve system in their grading, so even if you got a 85 on a test and the class average is a 97, your letter grade wont be good.

6. Illinigirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think it depends a lot on the school. I know at UIC that outwardly say it doesn't matter whatsoever where you took your pre-req classes; they believe that if you went to a "more prestigious" school you'd have higher PCAT score or more extracurriculars to balance it out. But Midwestern says they weigh university classes over cc. So I guess it depends.