Typical RVU reimbursement for PM&R in a MSK outpatient clinic?

Sep 1, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I am looking at jobs. I have an offer on the table that pays per RVU. I had a lot of learning to do about RVUs and now that I better understand them I'm wondering, what does a typical outpatient PMR doc get reimbursed per RVU? Anyone care to share specifics? Also the clinic is owned by the hospital and so I would be an employee of the hospital. They are covering all overhead including malpractice. Not sure if that makes a difference.
I just want to make sure that what I am being reimbursed is fair, and what I should negotiate for.

Last edited:

RUOkie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
there are so many variables that it is hard to say (location, cost of support staff, etc) But using a RVU model based on billing is a way to protect you from poor payers. The hospitals often use that method since they feel obligated to see a lot of Medicaid and no-pay patients.

lobelsteve

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
Status
Attending Physician
About the Ads

Gauss

Damnit Jim!
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
depends on what you'll be doing, subspecialty certification, and fellowship training

Haloeffect101

7+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2012
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Status
Medical Student
I'm a second year medical student in Philadelphia interested in PM&R & interventional pain/spine. I'd like to find a clinically excellent interventional spine/pain doc (preferably in private practice) local to the Philly area that would be glad to have me shadow occasionally.

If this describes you or if you have a friend/colleague that may fit the bill, then please do step up and let me know you'd be glad to have me visit your office! I sincerely appreciate it!

Sep 1, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
depends on what you'll be doing, subspecialty certification, and fellowship training
I guess I should clarify. No fellowship. I will be doing a mix of MSK, sports, EMG and some Interventional spine (limited to TF lumbars mostly). It is a hospital owned OP practice. Also I should clarify, they have given me a dollar amount per wRVU. I'm trying to see how that compares. I know it varies state to state and even county to county, but any estimates of what a good amount be wRVU is?

Prof Moriarty

the Napoleon of Spine
7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2009
New England
Status
Attending Physician
I guess I should clarify. No fellowship. I will be doing a mix of MSK, sports, EMG and some Interventional spine (limited to TF lumbars mostly). It is a hospital owned OP practice. Also I should clarify, they have given me a dollar amount per wRVU.
What did they offer you per wRVU?

specepic

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
New England
Status
Attending Physician
you are prob looking in the 50-60$/rvu range, what did they offer you?

ampaphb

Interventional Spine
10+ Year Member
May 13, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Status
Attending Physician
Also, whatever they offer u this year, make sure they can't unilaterally reduce it in subsequent years

About the Ads