Typical what are my chances thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Herbivore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a long time lurker here on sdn and I just made a profile and wanted to ask for help. So if anybody could help with my school list, giving some advice, and telling me what they think my chances are I would be grateful. I'm a bio/psych major with a cGPA 3.40 and sGPA 3.30 (definitely upward trend after I went through personal issues one year: I got a B+ in both Orgo 1 and 2, and A's in all my upper level bio classes such as biochemistry and endocrinology and and A in every pscyh class I've taken) and a 512 (127/128/128/129) on the MCAT. I have over 70 hours volunteering at a hospice and other volunteering hours, great LOR's, and I also research in two labs (one a psych lab for ADHD and the other a bio lab for animal behavior/endocrinology). I've presented one poster, I have no papers in the works, but I might be starting a project soon for bio. I also currently have a job, to help pay for school. I'm also an URM, not necessarily disadvantage but both of my parents only finished high school.

Schools on my list: (I know a lot are reach schools, but I like to dream and I can't help it; I'm open to anybody's suggestions)

Columbia University College of P & S
Emory University School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Science
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Mayo Medical School
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
Rush Medical College
The University of Miami School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Alabama School of Medicine (State School)\
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of South Alabama College of Medicine (State School)
University of TN Health Science Cntr Coll. of Med.
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Yale School of Medicine

*Thinking about adding Tulane and VCU

Thanks for the help in advance guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's literally a sub-forum called "what are my chances".

Members don't see this ad :)
way too many top schools on your list.

but if you are applying to top schools, you really should include Harvard.

You need to add ALOT more mid-tier and low-tier schools. Your GPA will likely be a problem at a large proportion of your list and is a potential issue enough that you need to apply to more schools that will consider you IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Way, way WAY too many reach schools. I guess it's alright if you got the money to burn, but I would still add more low/mid tier

Typical wanc thread in an atypical location.

I count maybe 5 schools where you have a fair to good chance of an interview if that is your only MCAT.
That's a bit scanty for someone with historical success stats at about 52%.
Good state, though! AL matriculates 46.4% of its IS applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry everyone this is my first time posting in sdn and I didn't know there were different sub-forums.

I must be getting old, the MCAT isn't out of 45 anymore? What is the OPs equivalent to?