typing in a pdf file

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to write in a pdf file? some of the secondaries are in PDF form and I dont want to do them by hand. There must be a way to type in these things no? Do i need to revert to an old school typewriter?

Members don't see this ad.

Using adobe acrobate (or even adobe reader, i think), you should just be able to type on it. use the cursor to pick where you want to type, or tab between sections.

You need the adobe software that allows you to create new pdf files, Adobe Acrobat. Adobe reader (the free one everyone has) only allows you to view and print them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to write in a pdf file? some of the secondaries are in PDF form and I dont want to do them by hand. There must be a way to type in these things no? Do i need to revert to an old school typewriter?

Some schools will created editable .pdf forms that you will be able to edit with adobe reader (note, you cannot save these with reader). Some schools will only issue a plain .pdf form that you will need acrobat or an oldschool type writer to fill in.

Acrobat allows you to save changes and create fillable forms. It's also expensive and a b!tch to work with.

If you're only filling in 1 or 2 secondaries, I'd just go with an oldschool typewriter, your parents might have one.

Also possible... a lot of uneditable forms have been worked over by helpful SDNers and made editable. They usually post them. It's worth searching.

use the Cute PDF downloadable freeware:

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

Here's how to use it:
1) install it to your hard drive
2) download all the relevant PDFs and save them on your hard drive
3) right click on the PDF you wish to fill out. Scroll down to the "Open With..." option, and choose CutePDF.
4) Fill in the PDF the way you normally would
5) When you wish to save, click the blue button at the top of the PDF that says something like "Save with CutePDF" (I forget the exact wording)
6) an alert will pop up that you can't save information in the PDF file. Click OK.
7) The alert was wrong; your stuff is now saved. Close the PDF and then re-open by using "Open With... Cute PDF" again. Everything you wrote will still be there!

There's one minor caveat. Since Cute PDF is freeware, all the pages you create with it will say "Created with Cute PDF" in small type on the bottom left hand corner of each page of your secondary. You can get rid of this by paying for the Pro verision of Cute PDF- but personally, I didn't worry about it and stuck with the free version.

Frogs

Here's how to use it:
3) right click on the PDF you wish to fill out. Scroll down to the "Open With..." option, and choose CutePDF.
5) When you wish to save, click the blue button at the top of the PDF that says something like "Save with CutePDF" (I forget the exact wording)
6) an alert will pop up that you can't save information in the PDF file. Click OK.
7) The alert was wrong; your stuff is now saved. Close the PDF and then re-open by using "Open With... Cute PDF" again. Everything you wrote will still be there!

There's one minor caveat. Since Cute PDF is freeware, all the pages you create with it will say "Created with Cute PDF" in small type on the bottom left hand corner of each page of your secondary. You can get rid of this by paying for the Pro verision of Cute PDF- but personally, I didn't worry about it and stuck with the free version.

Frogs

Thank you.

I love you.

Here's how to use it:

Frogs

Wow, that's awesome. When I applied (3 years ago), I didn't have any way to save the files, but I still wanted to type up the GW secondary, because my handwriting is atrocious (and the spaces they left for you to write in were tiny). So, I spent a couple hours typing it all up, hit "print," and. . .Adobe crashed. I had a FIT. I actually didn't submit that secondary for another month, because I couldn't stand to look at it.

If you have VirusScan from MacAfee you can't use this software b/c an adaware install is required to be able to save altered pdf's, and my Virus software kept deleting the ads. You can save other files as pdf's though.

thanks for all the advice guys