typing secondaries - HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caduceus5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is everyone here typing all their secondaries, or is anyone going to write in the easy parts like name, address, etc, and type the essays. help

Members don't see this ad.

I bought a great typewriter on ebay for $10. It even has a spell checker and you can review what you typed before it prints it. Anyway, I have written some out though, I don't think it is that neccessary unless it asks for them to be typed. Good luck.

A typewriter for $10-WOW! I'll check out that site. I don't understand how you can review what you type before you print it. Does it work like a computer?

I have been handwriting all of my applications except the essay parts. Just write neatly. They can't expect everyone to have a typewriter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use a typewriter that has a correctable ribbon with it so if I make a mistake I can correct it. Works nicely. I would hate to print anything considering my handwriting is already like that of a doctor. I just hope it was neat enough for the MCAT graders.

Some of the secondaries (Cornell) had PDF files that could be filled out really easily. However, for most of the rest, I too used a typewriter for the one line answers (i.e. name, address, etc.) and cut out and pasted essay responses.

My 'screw-up' came with NYU in that the typewriter I was using had its correction ribbon crap out while I was filling it out. Inevitably, I made a whole bunch of mistakes and had to white them out. Needless to say, it was an annoying yellow color, and the closest white out shade wasn't particularly close. Ultimately, it looked pretty crappy, but I didn't want to wait to receive a second one.

It didn't matter, because they sent it back anyway because I didn't date my signature. Pretty annoying. Oh well.

I've had great success using Wordperfect to fill out forms of all kinds. I like WP better than Word because it tells you, in inches or centimeters, where your cursor is. This makes it easy to place the text.

I just use my cheap paper and print them out until I can see that the locations of the text match by holding my version up to the original. It's still pretty nerve wracking when you put the real copy at the mercy of your printer, though. :)

I hand wrote mine.. I just don't have a typewriter and stuff. I dont know that it really matters.. i wrote real neatly and all. Anyone think this a huge problem?

Most libraries have typewriters - just use theirs. Of course noone has their own typewriter. I am typing all my secondaries.(well when I finally do them I will type them)

I'm typing or word-processing everything.

high resolution scans to Acrobat, make it watermark so you can eliminate it later...use form fields to fill in your text, eliminate wartermark, print (while you pray that everything aligns).

If the pages are on just plain white paper, the scans don't need to be converted to watermarks. Just fill in text and print! Voila!

I am not so sure about the handwriting method. I only hand check the check boxes!