Typo!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChymeofPassion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I had an MMI, I sent my thank you email to an administrative assistant, who coordinated the interview, and asked him to sent my regards to the committee, etc. In it, I left out a t in "committee" and "facilitated". I think my laptop key's T button may be faulty. Is this worthy of a follow up email?

Members don't see this ad.

Because I had an MMI, I sent my thank you email to an administrative assistant, who coordinated the interview. In it, I left out a t in "committee" and "facilitated". I think my laptop key's T button may be faulty. Is this worthy of a follow up email?

Lol i dont think so! No!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah sorry dude but that’s auto reject worthy right there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because I had an MMI, I sent my thank you email to an administrative assistant, who coordinated the interview, and asked him to sent my regards to the committee, etc. In it, I left out a t in "committee" and "facilitated". I think my laptop key's T button may be faulty. Is this worthy of a follow up email?

Let me kick this back to you. If you were an admin, and you received a follow up email to explain typos in a previous email would you:

A: Think “Oh, yes, this update was entirely necessary for my understanding of the first email. So happy I had the opportunity to read this.”

or

B: Think “Why is this candidate spamming my inbox with information irrelevant to their application?”

Reactions: 4 users
Let me kick this back to you. If you were an admin, and you received a follow up email to explain typos in a previous email would you:

A: Think “Oh, yes, this update was entirely necessary for my understanding of the first email. So happy I had the opportunity to read this.”

or

B: Think “Why is this candidate spamming my inbox with information irrelevant to their application?”
What about door 3, applicant owned up to his mistakes?

What about door 3, applicant owned up to his mistakes?

Once, in my former career, I was in need of a new assistant. I put an ad out on Monster.com (probably dating myself - I don’t know if that’s even used anymore) and received around 200 applications. We were just coming off the recession, and entry level admin jobs were in super high demand.

I received tons of communication about the position, which took a few hours a day (on top of, you know, all my other responsibilities) just to sift through. Candidates that flooded my inbox with minor updates, “just checking in” emails, “hey, I’m in the area, can I pop by to meet you?” requests, etc. really started to get on my nerves after awhile. I rejected a few otherwise OK candidates because they would call or email about minor, silly things. It read as attention-seeking at worst, and poor judgment at best. I wasn’t keen on hiring an assistant that couldn’t exercise good judgment about how and when to communicate professionally.

Seriously, med school admins must get hundreds of emails a day from candidates. Don’t make their jobs harder and draw unnecessary attention to yourself. It’s a typo. You’re fine. Next time make sure your spell check is on.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
only if you want to get rejected for being hyper neurotic.

Note my last sig line.

Never draw attention to a negative.

Reactions: 4 users
I had one thenk you letter where I speled her name incorrectly and she responded by spelling my na,e incorrectly. Both may have been mistakes, or she was being spiteful, but either way - my experience tells me you are fine.

• Haha
Update! Accepted to this school. Not all is lost after a typo.

Reactions: 8 users
For Columbia, I accidentally misspelled the PI name I said I wanted to work with and for the university of Michigan, I accidentally addressed someone as a Mr instead of a Ms in their admissions department but I still received interviews there after the mistakes! Obviously these are big mess ups on my part and I need to be much more careful in the future, but thought this might help to at least ease your worries so you aren’t constantly thinking of your mistakes (like I did until I got interview invites lol)

Edit: just saw ur update, but maybe this will help ease the minds of fellow typo makers lol