U Buffalo vs NYMC, which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSDSkippy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since May 15th is fast approaching, just need a little help with choosing between going to either NYMC or U Buffalo.

For me right now, I am not sure which direction I should go. NYMC costs a fortune and UB would cost less (even though I'm OSS). However, NYMC is closer to the city, and the atmosphere was pretty cool while UB was just down right freezing.

Unfortunatly, I didn't get to sit in on any classes for UB but I have heard that the teaching is so-so at this school. I've also looked at the match lists and NYMC tends to put a higher percentage into West Coast schools and also more into "competitive" residencies. Any info on how people like attending UB would be awesome.

Any input about the quality of life and also about the curriculum/teaching at either of these schoosl would also be truly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so here's some of my insight on what I think about NYMC, being from NYC and having my dad working in the same town as NYMC. I love the city and if had the choice, i would chose a school closer to the city. Alot of people have said that its all about location. You cant change where you are...Also NYMC is in an amazing area, it has been called the fifth ave. up north. In terms of the boards, NYMC do have higher scores and because they are not a public school tend to place outside of NY more than buffalo does. Overall, If i had the chance of going to NYMC or buffalo, i would without a doubt choose NYMC, sure its more expensive, but you can pay that back later when it comes time for it.

Since May 15th is fast approaching, just need a little help with choosing between going to either NYMC or U Buffalo.

For me right now, I am not sure which direction I should go. NYMC costs a fortune and UB would cost less (even though I'm OSS). However, NYMC is closer to the city, and the atmosphere was pretty cool while UB was just down right freezing.

Unfortunatly, I didn't get to sit in on any classes for UB but I have heard that the teaching is so-so at this school. I've also looked at the match lists and NYMC tends to put a higher percentage into West Coast schools and also more into "competitive" residencies. Any info on how people like attending UB would be awesome.

Any input about the quality of life and also about the curriculum/teaching at either of these schoosl would also be truly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey there
I am from Buffalo so I could answer questions about the area. It's really cheap to live around here, and most people are nice. I got to sit in on mini lectures during 2nd look and I thought they were really good. I had a lot of fun, the students are really nice.
I would pick UB in a heartbeat over NYMC, but I am NYS resident. Our tuition is like 18,000 or something. I think OOS people can get in state after one year of being here, or so I have heard. So you would pay the cheap rate after one year.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've also looked at the match lists and NYMC tends to put a higher percentage into West Coast schools

don't read too much into this...the overwhelming majority of students at UB are from ny, and there are many more californians at nymc than UB. i would assume that those from ny want to stay there, and that californians will want to go back.

good luck

i knew this was coming :laugh:

Yeah more people from NYMC go West for residency just b/c so much of their class is from Cali and they desire to go back there afterwards. It's just all about demand.

How much is the cost difference? How does cost of living compare? For UB, can you establish state residency after Year One to pay IS? Just some things to consider...

Yeah more people from NYMC go West for residency just b/c so much of their class is from Cali and they desire to go back there afterwards. It's just all about demand.

How much is the cost difference? How does cost of living compare? For UB, can you establish state residency after Year One to pay IS? Just some things to consider...
If next year's class is anything like this year's, cali people will be in good company. And yes, it is very easy to get in-state tuition after first-year, which is a boon for all of us OOS folk. Housing is cheap too. I live alone in relative luxury with all utilities covered for $700.

If next year's class is anything like this year's, cali people will be in good company. And yes, it is very easy to get in-state tuition after first-year, which is a boon for all of us OOS folk. Housing is cheap too. I live alone in relative luxury with all utilities covered for $700.

i saw an awesome place for a bit less than that, came with a plasma screen tv!! some of those downtown lofts are so reasonable priced

i saw an awesome place for a bit less than that, came with a plasma screen tv!! some of those downtown lofts are so reasonable priced
Nice. I live out in the 'burbs, but you can definitely find some very nice and reasonably priced places in the city. Plus, as med students, we are viewed as desirable tenants.

The more I think about it the more questions I have. I didn't have a lot of time to look at UB, in fact, the only tour I had of the school was the one we had on interview day where Mr. Russo takes you around. Are all med classes held in that building we interviewed at? Also, did anyone stay at the Holiday Inn.... is the area around there representative of most neighborhoods in Buffalo? Also.. how's downtown Buffalo?

you should pm noeljan, i think she's from the area

hey guys,

I have a similar problem of trying to choose between suny @ buffalo and nymc. Although I felt more connected with the student body at buffalo, i like the location of nymc better. i'm also trying to take tuition into account. does anyone know for sure whether or not i can get in-state tuition at buffalo after the first year? i also got an award for a $15,000 scholarship to attend nymc, which is renewable each year as long as i am in good academic standing. what are your opinions on where i should go? also please share other pros and cons that i've overlooked.

thanks!