U Chicago (Pritzker) vs. Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you go to? Both are in or very near to Chicago, and are private institutions. I'm inclined to place Pritzker over Northwestern, but this is based primarily on their websites.

Members don't see this ad.

Pritzker easily. Better financial aid, more intimate and more known.

Which would you go to? Both are in or very near to Chicago, and are private institutions. I'm inclined to place Pritzker over Northwestern, but this is based primarily on their websites.

Interview there first if you haven't. If you have, go to their second looks (if thats possible for you from hawaii) and pick which you like more. If financial aid is very different, consider that factor. Going to one or the other is not going to destroy your future options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any good points for Northwestern?

Any good points for Northwestern?

Best part of Chicago (extremely safe unlike Hyde Park)
<10hrs in lecture per week
Students have a ton of fun but still do really well
Brand new simulation center (nicest I've seen ... i.e. better than Penn and Pitt)
In next 2 years, shortening pre-clinical curriculum to 1.5yrs (still under discussion)
Financially stable (UChicago Hospitals -- NOT Pritzker itself -- is hemorrhaging red ink and entire departments are facing substantial cuts/elimination)

To echo ApoK, Northwestern has beautiful facilities, p/f curriculum, tons of resources, amazing sim center, lots of free time built into the M1 schedule, and is in a very safe area of Chicago. Also, this year they seemed to be quite generous with aid, but this is only based on anecdotal evidence. Chicago seems pretty great too - and has what appears to be a better match list for those seeking competitive specialties - but it's in a far less safe area of Chicago (not necessarily a bad thing - you're closer to an underserved population, which many aspiring docs prefer). If aid is equal or not an issue, I think it's a toss-up based on personal preferences.

northwestern students (arguably) have more fun.

pritzker students are (arguably) more committed to medicine.

I got into both and am definitely going to Pritzker. The resources provided to students (especially financial aid) are far greater plus you have smaller class size.

Also keep in mind that Pritzker's US News and World Report ranking is artificially low because it is a smaller medical school so it brings in less total NIH dollars. Regardless, however, the place is pretty baller.

I got into both and am definitely going to Pritzker. The resources provided to students (especially financial aid) are far greater plus you have smaller class size.

Also keep in mind that Pritzker's US News and World Report ranking is artificially low because it is a smaller medical school so it brings in less total NIH dollars. Regardless, however, the place is pretty baller.

You could say this about pretty much any school.

Still, I agree Pritzker is a sweet place. It's just a bit more traditional and maybe a less fun place to do your medical education.

Northwestern -

You can not have a better location for a school. In the heart of the city, safe and wealthy.The school really caters to their medical students and as far as academics are concerned they have nothing to envy Pritzker.

Pritzker

Neighborhood somewhat unsafe ( no matter what they may try to tell you otherwise). Students reflect some of the same undergrad mentality (where fun goes to die...)

Northwestern -

You can not have a better location for a school. In the heart of the city, safe and wealthy.The school really caters to their medical students and as far as academics are concerned they have nothing to envy Pritzker.

Pritzker

Neighborhood somewhat unsafe ( no matter what they may try to tell you otherwise). Students reflect some of the same undergrad mentality (where fun goes to die...)

I was accepted at both schools and liked them both quite a bit, but I only want to say one thing: your last statement is completely untrue. Pritzker students are awesome, fun-loving, and laid-back, unlike most of the undergrads at UChicago. That is all. :thumbup:

Does Northwestern accept students who have below say a 30 or 32 MCAT? Do they automatically give secondaries or do they screen you first for the numbers before that? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.