U Chicago (Pritzker) vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ballin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really 50/50 right now on this decision...

I was accepted to Pritzker with a full tuition scholarship and also to Yale.
Besides the prestige, I feel that Yale's match list is much better. I've never seen so many matches at Brigham, Mass Gen, Stanford, UCSF, etc. That being said, Pritzker's match was pretty awesome too...

What do you guys think..

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I don't know what my financial aid for Yale will be like yet. Thanks for the help guys.

unless u get almost a full ride of need-based money from yale i would go with pritzker.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I don't know what my financial aid for Yale will be like yet. Thanks for the help guys.

I think I'd be 50/50 too (but with $$$, definitely Chicago). The Yale System is much different than the Chicago curriculum...keep that in mind. And, although UChicago isn't exactly located in the best area of the Windy City, you are a quick ride away to fun parts. Chicago >>> New Haven imo. I've also heard some negative things said about Yale's hospital...mainly that it's a much different experience training in a smaller New England town than it is training in a huge, diverse urban center. Chicago is building a brand new hospital (largest in the world) that will be where you will be doing M3 rotations. That sounds pretty awesome to me.

Given full tuition to Chicago though... I think it's a hands down winner. You'll have equal opportunities coming out of both, and Chicago is sort of riding a huge increase in the rankings and prestige. Yes, Yale students match really well...but I think the Chicago match list is almost just as impressive. Match will be largely determined by your Step Scores and how well you do in medical school rather than where you went for it.

Choose the environment you'd see yourself being happier socially, academically, clinically, etc. You wanna be at the place where you think you'd be most successful. Keep in mind the money...because seriously, you will be kicking yourself 4 years down the line if you end up choosing a much more expensive school just for a seemingly insignificant bump in "prestige".

Regardless of what we think now as pre-meds, the name of the institution you go to won't matter much once you get there. You'll be worried about learning the material, passing boards, gaining clinical skills for your future patients, paying down debt...maybe even getting married, starting a family. You won't care as much if you go to the #6 school or the #13 school. Just that you'll be passing at that #6 or #13 school.

With a full tuition scholarship to Chicago it's a no-brainer (assuming no personal ties to either place). Yale's match list is strong but so is Chicago's (plus a lot of Yale's Harvard matches are to primary care medicine). If money were equal I would personally choose Yale over Chicago.

I'm really 50/50 right now on this decision...

I was accepted to Pritzker with a full tuition scholarship and also to Yale.
Besides the prestige, I feel that Yale's match list is much better. I've never seen so many matches at Brigham, Mass Gen, Stanford, UCSF, etc. That being said, Pritzker's match was pretty awesome too...

What do you guys think..
Honestly I would pick Yale > UChicago (well I am biased...)

But money + UChicago >>>> Yale (with less or no money)

Even if monies were the same, I would still pick University of Chicago. I enjoyed the interview day thoroughly and my correspondence with the deans and several professors convinced me that the school is very caring and supportive of their students. My interviewer also did a better job selling the community service and research opportunities available to students. It was the last school I withdrew from and the most difficult. While I enjoyed my Yale interview, I felt the place to be a bit stuffy. I would also rather live in Chicago than New Haven, but that is just me.

Yale's matchlist is impressive and so is University of Chicago's, but what is telling is how many Yale students choose to do their residencies elsewhere. It maybe because they would rather not stay in New Haven. Chicago's students end up staying at Chicago maybe because they love their institution and their city. Unless you were planning to do your residency at Yale, I don't see any particular advantage of attending Yale over University of Chicago for matching. They are both highly regarded institutions and will give your similar opportunities to pursue whatever you want.

UChicago with full-tuition >>>>>> Yale (with little or no money)

Last edited:
Yo dude I literally had the EXACT same situation and chose to go to Pritzker, I think you should too.

Status
Not open for further replies.