Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

U Illinois Chicago Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SpeedRacer, Nov 16, 2005.

1. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey again

So...again...does everyone start their day at 1130? How long is the day? How is it set up? Interviews all in the morning?

I'm so freakin' stressed about 3 interviews, especially since I'm really interested in the school and want to do well. Any advice?

Also...I'm traveling like 4 miles...is it gonna take a million years because of traffic? When should I leave?

alksdjfoiweo;u9403280923...sorry..spastic

Thanks.

ALso....any out of staters interviewed yet? What's the word on acceptance post interview?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. keitaiKT

keitaiKT Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Don't stress SpeedRacer - it is not nearly as nerve wracking as you are fearing. I was out of state and found out I was accepted about 3-4 weeks later. They said that they interview about 800 people and give out 600 acceptances, so if you got this far, your chances are pretty good! I sent you a PM - let me know if you have any more questions.

4. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks! makes me feel somewhat better.

5. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm interviewing there early in december and my day doesn't start until 1pm and runs until 5pm. I'm also in rockford, which means I have to drive 100 miles from ohare to the med school. I coulda flew into rockford, but all the available flights were very long and tedious, so rentacar it is!

I'm sure you'll do fine, it seems fairly low stress. the only thing that could go wrong would be if one interview runs over time and you are late for the next one- but they'll understand for sure.

6. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Was that 600/800 acceptance rate post-interview quoted from the school??

Also, if you interviewed in Rockford, do you have any advice for a nice place to stay.

7. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks in advance keitaiKT!!

And SpeedRacer, I'm OOS too (Cali).

Good Luck!

8. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you'll be fine! just relax, be honest, and (this might sound silly) try to enjoy the experience. see it as a way to get to know the school -- from the organization of the curriculum to the facilities and atmosphere. i loved UIC when i interviewed there (Chicago campus) and i put a lot of pressure on myself to do well. like another poster said, 600 acceptances out of 800 isn't bad AT ALL. good luck! :luck:

9. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    i interviewed in rockford. i live in chicago, so i just drove out for my interview, but if you'd like to stay in rockford, i highly recommend the clocktower hotel. i stayed there many times for sports tournaments and such throughout grade school/high school and it's a nice place and about a 10 minute drive from the school. even more convenient, the exit ramp from the interstate literally goes directly into their parking lot.

http://www.clocktowerresort.com/

10. sanche60

sanche60 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you're out of state you have an 80% chance of being accepted if you have been offered an interview according to last years acceptances. 69% if your in state with an interview offer. Pretty favorable numbers.

11. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Thanks, it seems like a nice place. I checked the weather in Rockford, 22 degrees!! and I thought it was a brisk day at 75 degrees out here in cali..

Do you know if they have discount rates for students? (i couldn't find anyone at reservations, so i need to call back later to get a response).

WOW!!

That was the best news I've heard this entire application process.

Thanks alot!

12. Moto

Moto RHA
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Did anyone else think that UIC people are a bit too snoody and pretentious?

13. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I haven't been there yet, but it could be different at each UIC campus. Chicago being the huge city it is, may have a different environment than say Rockford or Peoria which seem more rural/suburban.

14. busthwt

busthwt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The day was pretty long having three interviews. Coming from Miami with 80 degree weather to Chicago weather in the mid 20's with snow was different. After trying to recover my frost bite on my hands it was kinds difficult to try to concentrate on the interivew. But the student interview went really nice. The research guy that intervewed just threw me alot of research concepts that I really did not know about but it wasn't that bad. The third guy I interviewed with was a strange one. The guy seemed like in his real late 70's and I thought he was just gonna sit down and just fall asleep. But only 15 minute interview so I do not know how to make that out. But over all it was an all right experience. I would've liked to seen more of the school and talked to more students to get a different vibe. Cause from talking to my 2nd year interviewer all she told me was that first year was hell. I know med schools is one of the most challenging experiences we'll experience but that is something that we don't really like to hear. But the fact that it was an ice machine outside we couldn't get to see much of the school, I don't know if the school even has a cafeteria where all the students go, or a student lounge were all the students relax in. I just wanted to see more what the school had to offer. But I hope I get in, the bright side is that after wards your going to be a pretty good doctor and placed in a pretty good residency.

15. Scintillation

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i live in chicago...its cold as S*#T right now!! this sucks!!! i feel bad for people coming from eighty degree weather to this tundra.

16. TimmyTheWonderD

TimmyTheWonderD Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i lived in rockford for a while and there are no hotels right by the school, most of them are on state st. which is not too far away. i think the "nicest" place to stay is the sweden house, but i don't know how much $ that is. do an expedia or orbit search for rockford, the campus you are going to is on parkview if that helps, which is between rural st and auburn/spring creek. it is a smaller campus, older, but fairly nice...i did some summer research there.

17. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks!!

I'm staying at the Baymont. Its actually really cheap (~50-60 bucks/night) and it looks nice and fairly new.

18. EFuller

EFuller Slack-Jawed Yokel
    5+ Year Member

I interviewed about two weeks ago and at the interview they told me that they overshot enrollment last year by 33 students, so they are expecting to wait list a lot more in the beginning of the season and accept less students than last year. That being said, my application status on-line just turned from "application in process" to "final decision mailed out". I'm hoping since it's a "final" decision, that would mean I'm not wait listed (there's nothing final about waiting), but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

19. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Good Luck!! Hopefully its an acceptance.

20. busthwt

busthwt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How does UIC let you know post interview? By phone or snail mail?

21. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    snail

22. sanche60

sanche60 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thats good information. thanks. I should also say that the acceptance percentages i posted included waitlist acceptances as well. good luck, sounds like you may have gotten in. :luck:

23. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    For those who have interviewed:

Does the consecutive interview format really tire you out? (do you feel beat after all of it)

It seems like timing (between interviews) is an issue, is it hard or stressful trying to get from one to the next?

Are the interviews contained in one building (I'm at the Rockford site)??

Thanks in advance!

24. Daiphon

Daiphon Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    as a recent grad (sorry to be trolling in pre-allo) of rockford, and one who did lots of interviews there, i can tell you a few things:

1) stay on state street... the hotels are better out there. no student rate, though. if on a budget, you can always call up the rockford admin people and ask if there's a student you can stay with. i borrowed the hideabed to many an applicant...

2) yes, all the interviews are in the same building. basic setup: welcome, tour, lunch, q & a, interviews (30-45 minute interview with 2 faculty and one student - same as at Chicago), then home. pretty low key, and very low stress... just be able to actually talk intelligently about the things in your personal statement/application (YES, we actually read those things)...

3) keep in mind that rockford doesn't have the facilities of Chicago... but we have very little interaction with residents (e.g. >90% of clinical training is directly with attendings), and your financial aid budget is designed like you were living in chicago - with the cost of living in rockford orders of magnitude lower, you can live like a king (if one so chooses)...

just fyi... can pm me with more questions about rockford... i am on a bear of a rotation, so dont' freak if i don't instantly reply.

Good luck!

-t,md

25. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks!