U-M Financial Aid Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateKiss

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crap, I just realized I missed the Financial Aid Chat today! Did any of you participate? Learn anything interesting?

Members don't see this ad.

ChocolateKiss said:
Crap, I just realized I missed the Financial Aid Chat today! Did any of you participate? Learn anything interesting?

Which U-M?

Michigan. Shoot, I missed it too. Anyone want to give us the low down?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, I'll try to remember a few things:

*Remaining scholarship decisions to be awarded the week of March 20th.
*Details on recommended computers will be released soon.
*Director Ruiz really likes Taco Bell.
*Most people move in just a few days before orientation.
*It's cold/not cold, snowy/not snowy, you need a car/don't need a car, you should own a house/rent, live near the medical school/live further away, go to class/watch the movies, etc.
*Lots of students get funding for summer research between M1 and M2.
*Can only fill out institutional form (online) once being admitted
*Lots of gyms, running trails, IM sports
*Football, Basketball, etc. games are fun, and there are special grad student seating and ticket options

They did mention something about how many spots remain unfilled, and what can be expected for people on hold/waitlisted/highly desirable/whatever, but I have to admit I didn't pay attention to it. Sorry.

dajimmers said:

*It's cold/not cold, snowy/not snowy, you need a car/don't need a car, you should own a house/rent, live near the medical school/live further away, go to class/watch the movies, etc.
*Football, Basketball, etc. games are fun, and there are special grad student seating and ticket options

They did mention something about how many spots remain unfilled, and what can be expected for people on hold/waitlisted/highly desirable/whatever, but I have to admit I didn't pay attention to it. Sorry.

Hey, thanks dajimmers! That's good to know that there are still some scholarships out there :) ...From some previous posts, I thought all the merit scholarships were gone. Are these full rides that are left? And do they notify you by email?

I believe some are full-tuition. From an email I got, "...additional scholarships, ranging from full tuition to 1K per year, will be awarded in the coming weeks." Now that week appears to be March 20th. As for how they notify, I'm not sure, but email's probable given that's how they give out acceptances, etc.

dajimmers said:
I believe some are full-tuition. From an email I got, "...additional scholarships, ranging from full tuition to 1K per year, will be awarded in the coming weeks." Now that week appears to be March 20th. As for how they notify, I'm not sure, but email's probable given that's how they give out acceptances, etc.

So if a candidate gets in July, will they not be awarded any institutional grants because they are all handed out by March 20th?

dajimmers said:

Awesome - thanks for the in-depth recap!

Anyone know what was said about those who have been put on hold? Additionally, anyone put on hold invited to the chat?

I had to miss the chat too...Anyone remember what was said about how many seats were left to be filled?

dajimmers said:

* He said there are 15 full tuition scholarships left
* About 5% of the scholarships have been given out
* All will be given out the week of March 20th (about ~45% get something)
* Taco Bell is like 1 mile from med school
* I'm probably not getting a Fleece
* I think something like 10 spots left but don't quote me on that
* March 10th last interview date
* March 15th is last committee meeting

That is all I can remember right now but if I remember something else I'll add it.

there was also an interesting point regarding FAFSA and their own finaid form. I was curious about the deadlines and they gave me the sense that as long as you submit them both by april 1, you'll be considered for all forms of aid. it matters to me because they need parental info, and I still don't have it.

ti89 said:
* I'm probably not getting a Fleece

That is all I can remember right now but if I remember something else I'll add it.

Did they really talk about the fleeces? Any insight into why they gave them to certain people?

Members don't see this ad :)
ChocolateKiss said:
Did they really talk about the fleeces? Any insight into why they gave them to certain people?

someone asked what would have made them more fleece-worthy, and they just said getting a fleece meant they really love you! i don't know if they seriously chose their like 10 favorite admitted students or if it was random...

i didn't get one, but whenever i speak with mr. ruiz, he always says how much they want me to go there! what can i say, i choose to believe him, even without a free sweatshirt :oops:

on an unrelated note, some of the M1s were telling us how wonderful ann arbor really is...i'm definitely anxious to revisit and explore it more myself! i'm really in love with umich, but my only hesitation is AA...

ChocolateKiss said:
Fleece means HIGH MIGHTY priorty candidates whom they want badly. (There, does that boast anyone's already inflated ego?)

About ~310 will be admitted from the 800 interviewed (38%). So, about 10-15 spots are left (5%). Final decisions will be made on 3/15 for all those who are in the hold/no decision catagory.

happydays said:
Fleece means HIGH MIGHTY priorty candidates whom they want badly. (There, does that boast anyone's already inflated ego?)

About ~310 will be admitted from the 800 interviewed (38%). So, about 10-15 spots are left (5%). Final decisions will be made on 3/15 for all those who are in the hold/no decision catagory.

Yep the fleece goes to those who were ranked 'highly recruit' or something like that from overall review. Although I rather have scholarship money (so I'll let them go on the fleece) :)

On 3/15 they will decide about the last interviewees as well as those on hold/ no decision.

Good Luck (I am also assuming there will be waitlist movement this year). :luck:

happydays said:

Oh ya and happydays is driving me to taco bell :laugh:

ti89 said:
Yep the fleece goes to those who were ranked 'highly recruit' or something like that from overall review. Although I rather have scholarship money (so I'll let them go on the fleece) :)
I realize you're being sarcastic, but it's still hilarious..."Ah, we'll give some scholarship money to the kid we deemed NOT highly recruited because he didn't receive a fleece." For some reason, I think sympathy is hard to come by in this process (fleeces are pretty hard to come by, too). ;)

ti89 said:
Oh ya and happydays is driving me to taco bell :laugh:
Yeah, I can drive both you and my future husband, Director Ruiz, to Taco Bell!

Labslave said:
I realize you're being sarcastic, but it's still hilarious..."Ah, we'll give some scholarship money to the kid we deemed NOT highly recruited because he didn't receive a fleece." For some reason, I think sympathy is hard to come by in this process (fleeces are pretty hard to come by, too). ;)
I'm expecting the red carpet treatment to the fleeced students, while the rest of us wipe our tears with wads of money.

happydays said:
I'm expecting the red carpet treatment to the fleeced students, while the rest of us wipe our tears with wads of money.

:laugh:

I'm down to go to Taco Bell too...wait, i'll only go if its a tacobell/KFC, those are the best. Its all about getting a double decker supreme, cole-slaw and/or cornbread!

Elastase said:
:laugh:

I'm down to go to Taco Bell too...wait, i'll only go if its a tacobell/KFC, those are the best. Its all about getting a double decker supreme, cole-slaw and/or cornbread!
Woah, hold on there! KFC is about 3 miles away, do you think I'm a autophiliac? That reminds me, I got KFC on the day I took the MCAT.

I think it's a bit ironic to have KFC merge with with taco bell. That's like McDonald's merging with Jenny Craig.

Labslave said:

While hard to come by they did happen to throw one my way today as I just recieved one a lil bit ago :)

That just made my day (now some scholarship money would be fantastic also).

ti89 said:
While hard to come by they did happen to throw one my way today as I just recieved one a lil bit ago :)

That just made my day (now some scholarship money would be fantastic also).

Nice!!! :thumbup: