U Miami - Competancy Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubs41

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I was looking through the academic calender for U Miami and I noticed that we have "Competency Assesment" in June. Does anyone know what exactly this is? Do all schools have this? Thanks! :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If it's anything like what we have here at UF, it means that you'll be performing a cummulative physical exam on a standardized patient. They'll give you a "complaint" and you have to do the physical exam that would be pertinent to that complaint. Usually there are several stations that will test anything from heart & lungs to testing reflexes. Maybe someone from Miami can give more insight?

Hey Scrubs,
From what someone in MS2 explained to me, Cobragirl is quite right. They even videotape you performing the physical, so that the moderators (professors) can assess you later on. Talk about a stressful situation. I hate being on camera.:oops:
Cane

Members don't see this ad :)
i am a second year student at UM. we just had the competency week last month so i can tell you a little bit about it. the first thing you have to do is take a history on a mock patient. this encounter is videotaped. later on in the week you get into a small group consisting of about five of your classmates and a professor and you sit down and watch each others videotapes. everyone in the room will offer their opinion of how you performed and what you can do to make it better in the future. during the week there is also a clinical skills exam(which by the way is not taped)where you have to perform the entire physical on a patient while a physician is watching you. you are also given a clinical case(on paper) for which you have to perform a medline search and come up with a possible diagnosis for that patient. at the end of the week you have to take a computer exam which consists of about 18 questions that covers most of what you have learned over the year. it is supposed to give you an idea of what the usmle will be like.you are also assigned to a group of about five people and you are given a disaster scenario(like how to evacuate people after an explosion in the building) and your group has to come up with a plan of action for that particular scenario). the very last thing you do on that friday is to meet with your assigned mentor to discuss your progress throught the year. he or she will have your file that has all your grades and the results of your competency week. they will have access to anything that has gone in your file during the year. this competency thing is somewhat new in medical school and although few schools have them, in the future more med schools will implement it. if you have any other questions i will be happy to answer them

We have similiar exams at Tulane.

First year, we get video taped and graded on performing a complete History. (CC, HPI, PMI, Soc Hx, Fam Hx, ROS, etc)

Secend year at the conclusion of the physical diagnosis course, they video tape and grade us on History and Physical together.

The biggest one of the exams come after 3rd year, and its called TOSCE. (Tulane Observed Structured Clinincal Exam). It is a series of station where one has to do complete HX and PX in a certain time limit. One must demonstrate that they can collect data, write admission notes and formulate DX's as well as doing to proper Hx and Px. They simulate situations where the person is unconscious and you have to get all your info from physical, lab, X Rays, etc. It's a really involved test, however, only like 1% of students fail it.

These patients in these exams are standarized patients, so susposedly they do the exam same thing every time.

Yeesh...sounds like a boatload of fun.. oh well...i think it will be beneficial for us ..thanks to everyone for the info

Originally posted by brock18
i am a second year student at UM. we just had the competency week last month so i can tell you a little bit about it. the first thing you have to do is take a history on a mock patient. this encounter is videotaped. later on in the week you get into a small group consisting of about five of your classmates and a professor and you sit down and watch each others videotapes. everyone in the room will offer their opinion of how you performed and what you can do to make it better in the future. during the week there is also a clinical skills exam(which by the way is not taped)where you have to perform the entire physical on a patient while a physician is watching you. you are also given a clinical case(on paper) for which you have to perform a medline search and come up with a possible diagnosis for that patient. at the end of the week you have to take a computer exam which consists of about 18 questions that covers most of what you have learned over the year. it is supposed to give you an idea of what the usmle will be like.you are also assigned to a group of about five people and you are given a disaster scenario(like how to evacuate people after an explosion in the building) and your group has to come up with a plan of action for that particular scenario). the very last thing you do on that friday is to meet with your assigned mentor to discuss your progress throught the year. he or she will have your file that has all your grades and the results of your competency week. they will have access to anything that has gone in your file during the year. this competency thing is somewhat new in medical school and although few schools have them, in the future more med schools will implement it. if you have any other questions i will be happy to answer them
:) :) ;) :)

Yeah, the exams are kinda stressful (we get videotaped and evaluated by peers & profs too) but they will pay off in the long run. Starting in 2005 (the year I graduate- yay) all graduating 4th years (nationwide) will have to take an exam like this to get their licenses. If you're at a school that offers this sort of learning now, be thankful (even if they are a pain in the butt now!). At least we won't be blindsided by it like many others will be. The boards are stress enough, but to do that sort of exam cold turkey would be horrible!!!!

You guys, thanks so much for the info. I agree with you Cobragirl. This will be a pain to go through next June, but at least it will prepare me for the boards. I'm sure it will be alot less stressful for us because we've done these sort of tests before.

Originally posted by CANES2006
You guys, thanks so much for the info. I agree with you Cobragirl. This will be a pain to go through next June, but at least it will prepare me for the boards. I'm sure it will be alot less stressful for us because we've done these sort of tests before.

Right on! I feel the same way...again thanks for everyone's advice..it's much appreciated..:)