U Miami School of Medicine - FAU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winsicle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current/prospective students at the Boca campus give some insight to what negatives/positives there might be to attending school at this campus versus Miami?

...I can't make it to the open house on apr. 2nd but I am strongly considering attending miami (at this campus).

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

winsicle said:
Can any current/prospective students at the Boca campus give some insight to what negatives/positives there might be to attending school at this campus versus Miami?

...I can't make it to the open house on apr. 2nd but I am strongly considering attending miami (at this campus).

thanks

Glad to hear you are considering UMMSM@FAU. The following is from a PM I sent a while back to someone else considering our campus and has been modified slightly to reflect updates. It covers a lot of the questions people have, but absolutely feel free to ask further questions here or send along a PM. I'd be happy to give you a tour, should you be in the area. Especially if you will be missing the April 2nd Open House.

Great, I would love to find out from a current student at the FAU campus what you think of it. How are the teachers?

They are great, dedicated and knowledgeable professors that are available to the students. In several cases Miami students would prefer to watch our lectures via satellite. Of course, on some occasions the reverse is true as well, but it is a wonderful option to have. They are very enthusiastic and helpful.

You only have 16 people in your class correct?

16 for our first class. The Class of 2009 will be 32.

Do you feel you are missing out on anything by being at FAU?

Currently the only major thing is missing out on the events happening around school--mostly social. However, we are the only medical students currently in the area and as we establish our second year and activities for both 1st and 2nd, that sort of thing will not be a problem. Nonetheless, this social deficiency is offset by the very tight bond you form with your classmates---our group is incredibly dynamic and diverse, even within 16 individuals. I felt like I gained 15 new friends within the first week and we hang out and do stuff all the time. Plus we integrate with Miami students at health fairs and what not.

Do you feel the academic preparation is the same as that at the main campus in Miami?

Yes. And whatever we thought could have used improvement we as a class commented on so that future years could benefit. Great effort is made to present the same material on both campuses, while allowing different teaching styles. I also feel the early clinical skills training is superior here as we have more one-on-one learning in specially designed examinationr ooms.

Did you choose to go there or were you sort of forced? Was anyone forced to go there?

I was accepted to USF, UF, and UM, so I hardly was forced. And I am not an exception. Most of our class also had this option--like any class, but on a smaller scale. A big misconception is that we get "dumped" here and it's simply not true. People who come here come here because they want to learn the academics of medicine in a calm, nurturing, and unstressful environment that Boca Raton provides. In addition, Boca Raton Community Hospital is across the street and will be providing the aspects of 1st and 2nd year clinical scenarios, while a good many doctors in the area (and there are many) are eager and signed up for preceptorships with students. In addition we are in the process of forming ties with other hospitals in the area such as Bethesda and JFK.

What are the facilities like compared to the main campus? Is there wireless access like the main campus?

Brand-new, unlike the Rosenstiel. If I had a choice of a building to come to every day and take classes, there would be no question I'd come to the Charles Schmidt building at FAU. It's bright, spacious, and welcoming, with state-of-the-art facilities. The gross anatomy lab is, in a word, beautiful. As far as comparing the buildings in size, ours is not as large as the Rosenstiel, but it has everything you'd need contained with one area. Wireless access is available throughout the building. In addition each student gets their own desk and PC desktop with high speed internet access on campus. These desks are located in rooms just seconds away from the lecture halls. They provide a great environment for group studying and also small-group discussions and other social functions.

In the end, the campus you choose should suit your studying habits and lifestyle. If you appreciate being in small groups and interactive with your teachers and fellow classmates, the FAU campus should be under strong consideration. If you are more independent and like to be lost in the crowd as well as enjoy the urban atmosphere, taking classes down in Miami might be better for you.

Best of luck in making your decision!