jules454

Funktastic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
San Diego . . . LA, here and there
Status
So I have a Michigan interview next friday. The problem is, I've already been accepted to USC, and, being a california girl, it seems like a pretty far way to go for a place that I'm not that into. What are your thoughts? Should I just go ahead and interview? I'm really on the fence over this one. Thanks!

whitecoat09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
if there is NO chance that you would go there, then save your time & money as well as their time & give someone else a chance!

congrats on usc!

TexasSnow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Houston
Status
Hey Jules! Congrats on your USC acceptance!

It's a huge coincidence, but I'm in the same situation you are (USC accepted, upcoming Mich interview), the only difference is that I'm slightly more enthusiastic over my Mich interview. But I can share my thoughts:

My primary love for USC is the county hospital. LAC is amazing: a chance to learn medicine in an urban setting on a limited budget; the indigent percentage is higher at LAC, plus LAC serves the prison/jail population. Michigan is in Ann Arbor, a small college town, and obviously serves a different population. Plus, (I would imagine), the trauma/ER is more active at LAC than Michigan.

My primary love for Michigan is the research opportunities. Michigan receives a lot more NIH funding, and has some of the top experts in their respective fields. Keck talks a lot about its clinical research, but I'm not sure if the clinical research departments are well-established or on the rise (probably the latter).

For living conditions: LA definitely beats Ann Arbor for entertainment. However, LA traffic..... :eek:

And finally: Attending Michigan is signficantly cheaper than Keck.

I'm sure there are more differences between the school. And though I shouldn't make a personal judgement about Michigan until I interview, USC students are the happiest students I've ever seen!

:laugh:

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
hmmm, i'm in the exact opposite position, been accepted to umich and debating whether or not to go to my usc interview...

a little info. about umich if you want it:
college town
very liberal
great restaurants and bars
really cold and shi**y weather in the winter
students i know here LOVE it

personally, i don't think i'm going to end up going to my interview now. i'd kind of rather save the money now that i know i'm in at a school that i really liked. only you can decide if you think there's a decent chance you might choose umich over usc and if that chance is worth spending time and money to come here.

good luck!

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Ann Arbor is a *****. Unless you feel like living in squalor and paying up the butt for housing and parking I'd say no.

LauraMac said:
hmmm, i'm in the exact opposite position, been accepted to umich and debating whether or not to go to my usc interview...

a little info. about umich if you want it:
college town
very liberal
great restaurants and bars
really cold and shi**y weather in the winter
students i know here LOVE it

personally, i don't think i'm going to end up going to my interview now. i'd kind of rather save the money now that i know i'm in at a school that i really liked. only you can decide if you think there's a decent chance you might choose umich over usc and if that chance is worth spending time and money to come here.

good luck!

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
housing is more expensive and parking is way worse in LA than in ann arbor.

ann arbor may not be for everyone, but please don't call my city a *****. i really like it.

OP
J

jules454

Funktastic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
San Diego . . . LA, here and there
Status
Hey Guys, thanks for your advice. I guess I'll probably not end up going, if I can win over those "could have beens" in my head. I'm sure Ann Arbor is beautiful, though.

twilight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
Status
AStudent said:
Ann Arbor is a *****. Unless you feel like living in squalor and paying up the butt for housing and parking I'd say no.

I wouldn't listen to Ann Arbor being a *****. I have been there since I was 10 and even though I am in Philly right now, my family is still there. If you like a college town with a lot of diversity and a cozy town, Ann Arbor is for you.

Congrats on UMich interviews. This is my alma mater!:)

Scrubz67

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
Status
I think Ann Arbor is okay. I did my graduate degree there and had a great time.

But my suggestion to you is at this point in the game go only if you are seriously considering the school because there are many of us that would kill to have an interview and are offered any slots that open up (MI residents)...

so if you probably wont accept a position if offered one, why not let someone else at least have a shot at it.

Darko

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't move to Michigan, right now it's considered warm when the temperature breaks 40 degrees F, and sunny if you look up into the gray sky and notice that one part of the atmosphere is a little less gray then the rest.

Be someone's hero and cancel! Pleassseee.... *gets down on his knees and begs*