U Mich on 12/20

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TranceKitten, Nov 2, 2002.

1. TranceKitten

TranceKitten Junior Member

Hi-
    Any girls out there interviewing at U Michigan on December 20? I was thinking we could share a room at the Campus Inn. It is $153.00 per night for the double queen guest room. Here is the url for the hotel: http://www.campusinn.com If we share we can stay at a really nice, safe place for less than we would pay for a shady hotel. I am staying in Ann Arbor December 18-21, if anyone wants to stay on any or all of those nights that would be great.:)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mws99

mws99 Senior Member

I don't think there are any shady, unsafe hotels in Ann Arbor.

4. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member

you might not want to stay at campus inn.... it's a hell of a hotel, but its not exactly the most affordable option.

Ann Arbor really has no shady places.... i think we save those places for detroit. But if you're looking for a good place, close enough to campus (still a cab ride), look for places in Briarwood.

5. Street Philosopher

i'll be there 12/20 also. probably

6. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member

How useful is having a car around Ann Arbor? I'm interviewing there in Dec. too, and I'm thinking of renting a car at the airport instead of taking a shuttle. It's not very expensive to rent. A lot of the less expensive places (not ghetto though, I think) to stay seem to be a couple miles from campus around I-94, so i figured I could sleep there and drive to the interview. Or is parking a problem? Oh, my parents don't like this idea because they're afraid it could be snowy and icy and I've only driven under those conditions once before. Hehe, us wimpy CA people.

7. laviddee

laviddee Senior Member

hey!
    congrats on the umich interview! i hope you love it!

hey yeah, get a car! parking is not a problem b/c when you get to michigan, just drive in to the med school and they'll give you a parking pass.. and the structure is right near the school.

if you have a car, you can stay at a lot of places right by briarwood mall. It's exit 177 off the 94 interstate hwy.

if you want to stay on campus-- there is also the Michigan League that is somewhat nearby the med campus- but it's also RIGHT ON the undergrad section- so you'll be able to walk right onto the diag and to where the fountain and bell tower are at.
    http://www.umich.edu/~league/

i think you can still stay there..

well good luck.. and hope to see ya there next year!

8. marakah2

marakah2 Member

I stayed at the michigan league---very nice. it was i think 115 bucks, but with free parking that night and through the day during your interview and you also got free breakfast at tim hortons/wendy's.

really easy to walk from there to the interview, about 5 minutes or so.

9. TranceKitten

TranceKitten Junior Member

Mystic- I have never lived outside of California so I am scared about having to drive to the campus in the ice/snow too. I have only seen it snow once in my life! I was thinking that if I stayed at the Campus Inn then, no matter what the weather conditions, I would have easy access to the campus and food (they have a restaurant downstairs). The hotel is very expensive but if I shared it with another interviewee then we could get it for a reasonable price ($76.50) and have someone to explore the campus with.
    Hey SP- What day are you going to be there? If you are there on the 19th then we should meet up, if not then if you are around after the interview lets go hang out that night with some of the students we meet on the tour. :)
    Lividdee- Thank you! :D I am so excited to see the school, I have heard nothing but good things. Can you recommend some places to go on Friday night after our interview?

10. Street Philosopher

i haven't set any solid plans yet. my interview is on the 20th, but i don't know if i'll be there a day early or not. not really sure about the details right now.

11. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn - cheapest place on their list of selected hotels...clean place and less than 10 minute drive to get to the interview...

Parking - just parked in the hospital garage and paid 6 bucks or so at the end of the day.

Enjoy your interview it was an impressive day.

12. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member

I really appreciate the comments from people who have already interviewed. Thanks!

I just booked a room at the Fairfield Inn. It's one of the more expensive ones on the list they gave us, but they have a winter sale going on in Dec. that makes their rates similar to the less expensive places on the list. ($54 on sale). Plus, free breakfast never hurt! :) Gosh, I sound like a salesperson.

So, what is there to do in Ann Arbor anyways? Like TranceKitten said, any recommended places to go after the interview?

13. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

Well, it depends on what it is that you want to do. The bars and restaurants on South University are kinda undergradish, but can be a great deal of fun. There are clubs and music downtown (mainstreet) where more locals and grad students hang out (Ann Arbor locals are great, BTW, not the toothless "townies" found in some university towns.) State Street (on the other corener of the Diag from South U.) has a few slightly more upscale bars/restaurants. Check out Ashleys if you like beer (60+ on tap, I don't even want to think about how much money I spent in there during my 4 years.) If you want nice NICE restaurants, let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Again, it depends on what you want to do. If you have any specific requests let me know and I can show the way. The bottom line is, Ann Arbor is a wonderful place (although you're right, December can get a bit nasty when it comes to the climate.)

14. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member

On some friday/saturday nights, Leopold Brothers on Main Street has live music. It's an awesome place.... a brewery/garden, which is a favorite of older undergrads and younger grad students.

Definitely check out Ashleys if you like beer, and if you're looking for a nice calm place to hang out with people that you met at the interview.

Another suggestion would be Connor O'Neils on main street, which is the local irish pub. A good place on weekends.

If you're into the whole undergrad frat/sorority scene, then go to Ricks on South U. It's not my bag, but some people like it. And there's also Scorekeepers on Maynard for that scene.

Any way you go, Ann Arbor is an awesome town. Enjoy it, and good luck.

15. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...

Go Bucks ;)!

Just gearing up....

lol, -ws