U mich tonight!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else still hanging on to hope?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
im in cali as well, no email

It seems that 60% of those who interviewed get in, but more people on SDN are waiting rather than have been accepted. We'll see what happens, but I'm going to bed soon.

I'm eagerly hoping that they're going by time zone as well. I'm central, so I'll let you coasties know if that theory has any validity. :cool:

I'd love for this to be the case, but I find it a bit far fetched... oh well, positive thinking can never hurt :)

Congrats to everyone who got in. Don't know about the time-zone issue. When I was there, Director Ruiz said that 12 AM meant 9 PM on the West Coast. =(

Well sorry to high jack the thread but that game was good. Ill be at the michigan vs iowa game next weekend. I have inside information that Willingham is out for the year. And best of luck for people who are waiting.
I guess Washington is going to be screwed without a coach! :p

... and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Manningham. How good is your "inside source"?

No text, no status page, only e-mail, received at 12:35. Last name starts with a D. Interview was 9/15/2006. Would love to go out and celebrate, but I'm at home due to a family member in the hospital. I'll take the good news and go to bed. Will sleep well tonight.
So if I've put two and two together properly, I think I may have talked to you during your interview day lunch. (I'm from Grand Haven) Congrats on the acceptance & I hope your family member gets well soon.

Go Blue!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, just got the email. they're still sending them out!

Congrats to everyone who got in tonight! I like the new video. :thumbup:

If I were to offer any advice it would be that you should plan on coming back for second look weekend. We'll definitely show you a good time, and you'll remember why Michigan is clearly the place for you! :D

For those who havn't heard anything yet, don't stress too much. There could still be good news coming your way. (I was accepted at this time last year, but others from my interview day didn't get their's until later.)

Go Blue!

last name W. interviewed 30 sept

You guys have an addicting thread . . . I didn't even apply to U of M, though I thought about it (let's face it, it's a GREAT school!) so good luck to you all, and congrats to those already accepted!!!

If we did not hear tonight, does that mean that there is no way we could hear tomorrow or this upcoming week that we were accepted? Or are we automatically placed on the waitlist or rejected?

Presumably, they will have made their decision, and we expected to be notified of the decision today. I don't see any reason for them to withhold the decision. Of course, I am sure they can/will send notices in the next few days also. :oops:

misery loves company. i just got home. no email :(

congrats to all of you with acceptances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems that 60% of those who interviewed get in, but more people on SDN are waiting rather than have been accepted. We'll see what happens, but I'm going to bed soon.

Is this true? I haven't interviewed yet but that would be great.

hopefully we'll know our status soon, obviously acceptance isn't a choice though :( :(

If we did not hear tonight, does that mean that there is no way we could hear tomorrow or this upcoming week that we were accepted? Or are we automatically placed on the waitlist or rejected?
hopefully we'll know our status soon, obviously acceptance isn't a choice though :( :(
Sorry to those who didn't hear last night. I know it's diasppointing.

I don't want to keep people's hopes up unreasonably, but if this year is the same as last year the chances of an acceptance for those who didn't find out last night aren't zero. I do think that the large majority of the early interviewees who were accepted found out on 10/15, but I know of at least a couple who got in several weeks later. Others came in off the waitlist.

Keep your chin up and good luck! :luck:

Well, looks like I will get no love from U.Michigan. I regret the whole "automatic interview" thing now. If a school is going to reject someone for essays and extracurrics, I wish they would just do it immediately. Don't invite someone only on high grades/MCATs without looking at their whole application, eat up two days of their time, make them pay for airfare, hotels, shuttles, and taxis just to turn around and reject them on soft factors. Maybe I would feel a little bit better if I had bombed the interview, but I don't think I did. They asked really light questions and there was little room to mess up. Whatever, I guess I got some good interview practice with them and got all the jitters out early... I wish it weren't at such an awesome school. I'll look at it as a very expensive ($300) mock interview! :laugh:

They'll stay #3 til before the OSU game... then somehow the people making the polls will decide that beating Indiana will justify climbing over USC to make more money on a 1 vs 2 matchup.

I'm about the opposite of a Michigan fan, but still I've found the wolverines impressive this season.

no actually they will be 2. being better than USC justifies UM climbing over them.

Hey everyone. Congratulations! If you don't mind, would you please post your stats? Perhaps, it will help other students, like myself, know if they are competitive for UMich. Thanks a lot. good luck. :)

Well, looks like I will get no love from U.Michigan. I regret the whole “automatic interview” thing now. If a school is going to reject someone for essays and extracurrics, I wish they would just do it immediately. Don’t invite someone only on high grades/MCATs without looking at their whole application, eat up two days of their time, make them pay for airfare, hotels, shuttles, and taxis just to turn around and reject them on soft factors. Maybe I would feel a little bit better if I had bombed the interview, but I don’t think I did. They asked really light questions and there was little room to mess up. Whatever, I guess I got some good interview practice with them and got all the jitters out early... I wish it weren't at such an awesome school. I’ll look at it as a very expensive ($300) mock interview! :laugh:

Even though I didn't get an acceptance, I don't regret it at all. It's not as if they were ever lying to us. Everybody gets evaluated, we just get evaluated sooner. If instead we had gotten accepted, we would have (I still do) thought UMich was the best for doing this. It was a great experience . . . and it seems nobody ever gets a "bad" interview. We all knew coming out of the interviews the statistics . . . about only 1/3 or some interviewees get accepted. Everybody had a great time but we knew we couldn't have all been accepted. Life goes on :-/

Hey everyone. Congratulations! If you don't mind, would you please post your stats? Perhaps, it will help other students, like myself, know if they are competitive for UMich. Thanks a lot. good luck. :)

It's become obvious stats aren't the only thing at work here.

Well, looks like I will get no love from U.Michigan. I regret the whole “automatic interview” thing now. If a school is going to reject someone for essays and extracurrics, I wish they would just do it immediately. Don’t invite someone only on high grades/MCATs without looking at their whole application, eat up two days of their time, make them pay for airfare, hotels, shuttles, and taxis just to turn around and reject them on soft factors. Maybe I would feel a little bit better if I had bombed the interview, but I don’t think I did. They asked really light questions and there was little room to mess up. Whatever, I guess I got some good interview practice with them and got all the jitters out early... I wish it weren't at such an awesome school. I’ll look at it as a very expensive ($300) mock interview! :laugh:

Even though I didn't get an acceptance, I don't regret it at all. It's not as if they were ever lying to us. Everybody gets evaluated, we just get evaluated sooner. If instead we had gotten accepted, we would have (I still do) thought UMich was the best for doing this. It was a great experience . . . and it seems nobody ever gets a "bad" interview. We all knew coming out of the interviews the statistics . . . about only 1/3 or some interviewees get accepted. Everybody had a great time but we knew we couldn't have all been accepted. Life goes on :-/

I somewhat agree with both. I love Michigan (still) and would happily take an acceptance if it were to come later in this process, but I agree that the auto-interview seems sort of inefficient. I definitely wish I didn't love the school so much, but I'm handling not getting accepted much better than I thought I would. I'm pretty sure we were all qualified to go there, but its a crapshoot after all and we found ourselves on the worse end of it!! Nothing to do but move on...but I do wish I knew what exactly my status at Michigan is! Maybe there will be an acceptance for me in the mail this week!

I somewhat agree with both. I love Michigan (still) and would happily take an acceptance if it were to come later in this process, but I agree that the auto-interview seems sort of inefficient. I definitely wish I didn't love the school so much, but I'm handling not getting accepted much better than I thought I would. I'm pretty sure we were all qualified to go there, but its a crapshoot after all and we found ourselves on the worse end of it!! Nothing to do but move on...but I do wish I knew what exactly my status at Michigan is! Maybe there will be an acceptance for me in the mail this week!

I think we can find out what our status is Monday from the website. Now I'm crossing my fingers hoping it's a waitlist and not a reject :hungover: Then I'd really have to worry about what went wrong lol.

the auto invite thing is a little puzzling, but they said in one of their chats that the reason they do it is that people with the high stats ended up getting interviewed nearly every single time. so, odds are everyone who got an auto invite would have been interviewed even before this system.

if i had to guess there'll be some waitlist movement this year. the admissions director said they were accepting about 50 less people this year due to overshooting their class every year. :luck:

Well, looks like I will get no love from U.Michigan. I regret the whole "automatic interview" thing now. If a school is going to reject someone for essays and extracurrics, I wish they would just do it immediately. Don't invite someone only on high grades/MCATs without looking at their whole application, eat up two days of their time, make them pay for airfare, hotels, shuttles, and taxis just to turn around and reject them on soft factors. Maybe I would feel a little bit better if I had bombed the interview, but I don't think I did. They asked really light questions and there was little room to mess up. Whatever, I guess I got some good interview practice with them and got all the jitters out early... I wish it weren't at such an awesome school. I'll look at it as a very expensive ($300) mock interview! :laugh:
the auto invite thing is a little puzzling, but they said in one of their chats that the reason they do it is that people with the high stats ended up getting interviewed nearly every single time. so, odds are everyone who got an auto invite would have been interviewed even before this system.

if i had to guess there'll be some waitlist movement this year. the admissions director said they were accepting about 50 less people this year due to overshooting their class every year. :luck:
model/actor has it right. The auto-interview came into play because that they found the some crazy-high percentage of people with certain combinations of GPA & MCAT got interview offers anyway even after essays and LORs had been read. As a result they made the "automatic" interview criteria. The name is a little bit of a misnomer though, people with high numbers can (and do) occasionally get removed from the list for other reasons and are not granted an interview.

If you didn't get in it isn't simply because they really didn't like your essay, or your interview sucked, or something like that. There are hundreds of people every year who could have fit well in the class, but for whom there simply isn't room.

Also, just because the interview questions aren't the type that really grill you, that doesn't mean that there aren't dramatic differences in how people respond. You don't have to "mess up" for the interview not to help you. You might have given perfectly good anwers to all of the questions, but if someone else really lit up their responses they could have really stood out above the crows. I don't know how big a factor the inteview is in the overall process (and it probably varies from applicant to applicant), but I do know that they're looking much more for people who really stand out to let in, not people who mess up to weed out.

The bottom line is that, unfortunately, as applicants we never really get to know what happend to give us an acceptance somewhere and not others.

Just as someone else mentioned, I'd also expect more waitlist movement this year. They reduced acceptances a bit last year too (two years ago the class was 177 rather than the desired 170) but there still was not a lot of waitlist movement.

If you're really interested in Michigan, keep updating your file, keep in touch with the admissions office, and keep your fingers crossed for an acceptance or some waitlist love.

Good Luck! :luck:

With so many other M1s posting, I almost felt obligated... but I was good and took my musculoskeletal quiz first! (I say this because I know of at least five SDNers that I've seen at Fursty this weekend studying for the quiz...)

Anyway, I want to echo what others have been saying - congrats to those of you that got in! I'm sure it's a relief to know so early... which I wouldn't know, because I was lazy and interviewed in December. And, for those of you still in limbo, there's still plenty of time - keep your heads up!

PS - SailCrazy, if you see this before Monday at 8 am, you'd better be studying, bro. :laugh:

With so many other M1s posting, I almost felt obligated... but I was good and took my musculoskeletal quiz first! (I say this because I know of at least five SDNers that I've seen at Fursty this weekend studying for the quiz...)

Anyway, I want to echo what others have been saying - congrats to those of you that got in! I'm sure it's a relief to know so early... which I wouldn't know, because I was lazy and interviewed in December. And, for those of you still in limbo, there's still plenty of time - keep your heads up!

PS - SailCrazy, if you see this before Monday at 8 am, you'd better be studying, bro. :laugh:
I'm here before 8am & I'm not studying... I'm done! :thumbup: (I think I was the last of the group to finish.)

Speaking of waitlist movement, when are we likely to see that?
I think it was early June last year, but it is always variable.

Well, I didn't get the highly coveted email from UMich but my status page has been updated to read...
Highly Desirable - December decision
Your application has been deferred to a committee decision and no action will be taken on your file until December. This is a "no action" decision and further review of your file will take place again in December. This decision is not an offer of admission, waitlist, or rejection.

Keep your fingers cross for me! Congrats to those who were accepted and for the rest of us, let's keep our hopes up!
:luck:

Well, I didn't get the highly coveted email from UMich but my status page has been updated to read...
Your application has been deferred to a committee decision and no action will be taken on your file until December. This is a "no action" decision and further review of your file will take place again in December. This decision is not an offer of admission, waitlist, or rejection.

Keep your fingers cross for me! Congrats to those who were accepted and for the rest of us, let's keep our hopes up!
:luck:

No stress there . . . .
Good Luck!

Oh man, they waitlisted me?!

Guess it's back to the state schools:thumbdown:

Your application Status as of 10/16/2006

WTF??? Is that good??? Bad??? Better/worse than waitlist?? I thought no action decisions were considered rare and unusual :-/

Your application Status as of 10/16/2006

WTF??? Is that good??? Bad??? Better/worse than waitlist?? I thought no action decisions were considered rare and unusual :-/

Hi there, my page now says the same thing. Better than wiatlist. They want to look at the 'quality' of the other applicants before making a decision on us. I still have hope.

Hi there, my page now says the same thing. Better than wiatlist. They want to look at the 'quality' of the other applicants before making a decision on us. I still have hope.

I hope it's one of those December 1 12am kinds of deals, oooooh exciting. JK, this is soo nerve wrecking.:scared:

Yeah I got the Highly Desirable thing too - I don't think we hear until December 15th though!

so here's a question I'll bring back up... has anyone in here actually gotten an interview that wasn't "automatic" because of numbers?