U Mich vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thuglife

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both schools and I am having a tough time deciding. Any comments either way?

Members don't see this ad.

1. how much is tuition at each place?

2. do you have family close to either location?

I am from CA and have been living in LA the last three years. My family is all here and I am interested in primary care in urban areas. School costs are comparable.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by thuglife:
I got into both schools and I am having a tough time deciding. Any comments either way?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Michigan has more resources/opportunities (more than double the NIH funding than USC) and I think in general, has a higher academic/residency placement reputation than USC. However, in your case, USC certainly has some strong points in that USC definitely has a more primary care slant - Michigan is still a traditional specialty-focused medical center and obviously, Ann Arbor doesn't hold a candle to Los Angeles. Of course, being a first year here at Michigan, I might be a bit biased
smile.gif

Did you have to decide between schools? What was the deciding factor for you? If I am fairly certain that primary care is what I want to do, how important is school prestige and residency placement in my decision?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by WingZero:
I believe Michigan has more resources/opportunities (more than double the NIH funding than USC) and I think in general, has a higher academic/residency placement reputation than USC. However, in your case, USC certainly has some strong points in that USC definitely has a more primary care slant - Michigan is still a traditional specialty-focused medical center and obviously, Ann Arbor doesn't hold a candle to Los Angeles. Of course, being a first year here at Michigan, I might be a bit biased
smile.gif

School prestige is a non-factor if you want to practice primary care (as opposed to being chair of a department at a large academic institution).