Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

U Mich vs USC

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by thuglife, Mar 22, 2001.

1. thuglife

thuglife Junior Member

I got into both schools and I am having a tough time deciding. Any comments either way?

2. wooo

wooo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

1. how much is tuition at each place?

2. do you have family close to either location?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    thuglife

thuglife Junior Member

I am from CA and have been living in LA the last three years. My family is all here and I am interested in primary care in urban areas. School costs are comparable.

4. WingZero

WingZero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I believe Michigan has more resources/opportunities (more than double the NIH funding than USC) and I think in general, has a higher academic/residency placement reputation than USC. However, in your case, USC certainly has some strong points in that USC definitely has a more primary care slant - Michigan is still a traditional specialty-focused medical center and obviously, Ann Arbor doesn't hold a candle to Los Angeles. Of course, being a first year here at Michigan, I might be a bit biased [​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    thuglife

thuglife Junior Member

Did you have to decide between schools? What was the deciding factor for you? If I am fairly certain that primary care is what I want to do, how important is school prestige and residency placement in my decision?

6. WingZero

WingZero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

School prestige is a non-factor if you want to practice primary care (as opposed to being chair of a department at a large academic institution).