U.Michigan: Curriculum Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geneman

The Transgenic Hobo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some important changes in U.Michigan's curriculum (cited from e-mail). No more than 20 weekly hours of structured time, of which at most 10 hours are lecture-based. Pretty amazing: ~4 hours each day of lecture/small-group/labs. I believe their current curriculum is closer to the standard 9-5. Also, students hit the wards 2 months earlier than normal.

======

Grading:
M-1year: Pass/Fail
M-2 year: Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail
M-3 year: Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail
M-4 year: Honors/High Pass/Pass/Fail

Specific Course Recommendations:

7. The target for an average week during the first year is no more than 20 hours of structured time, including lectures, small group sessions, and laboratories. No more than 10 hours should be in lecture.

8. Small group sessions will be designed to maximize student participation, and will not be designed as lectures in a smaller venue. All small groups will require student preparation with the expectation that students are responsible for presenting their work to the group (peer teaching).

The first year is undergoing the most significant structural change. However, there will also be improvements in the abnormal organ system teaching in the second year, enhancement of clinical skills training in the M-1 and M-2 years, and an earlier start and completion date of core clerkships two months earlier (May 1).

Members don't see this ad.

On a tangent, this email has 30 new names on it, so the total number of acceptees is currently ~300, which is close to the number the UMich admissions office had claimed would be given out intially.

and orientation starts aug. 4, not the 1st like someone had posted in another thread awhile ago..

Members don't see this ad :)
they should bcc the names.

Can't Wait for April 1st.

Hope that Helps

P 'Not going to Mich' ShankOut

Okay, this is a little strange. I got that email, but I'm on the waitlist. I can't see any of the other names, but that may just be my email program, I don't know.

:confused: