U.Michigan Med 2001 class profile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got this from their website. (data about entering class of 2001)

The U-M Medical School Entering Class of 2001 Profile

The University of Michigan Medical School student body is very diverse. Our students come from all over the country, drawing from many ethnic and cultural groups. For example, the entering class of 2001 came from 29 states and 68 different schools. The total number of minority students under-represented in medicine have made up about 15% of the student body in recent years. Let's take a look at the entering class of 2001.

Number of Applicants:
Number applying in 2001: 4688
Number interviewed: 615 (13% of applicants)
Number in the class: 170
Standard Class Averages: GPA: 3.7 MCAT: 11.1

Entering Class:
Black/African American 17 (10%)
Mexican American 7 (4%)
Native American 1 (1%)
Asian groups 37 (22%)
White/Other 108 (64%)
Male: 54%
Female: 46%

Class Composition:
Standard applicants-- 131
Deferred from 2000-- 5
Inteflex students-- 22
Medical Scientist Training Program-- 6
Maxofacial Surgery Program-- 2

Class Geography:
Michigan residents: 49% Non-Michigan: 51%
States represented: 29 states.
Largest contingent is from Michigan (85)
Next largest group: California with 25, for 15% of the class. Other states with significant representation: Ohio with 6, Texas with 5 and Illinois with 4. There are 3 students each from Arizona, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Wisconsin.

Undergraduate Colleges Attended:
Number of undergraduate schools represented: 68 different schools.
Number of Michigan colleges represented: 8
Number of students who attended UM Ann Arbor: 59 (includes Inteflex) -- (35% of the class)
Schools with the most representation, besides UM: UCLA with 8, UC Berkeley with 7, Hope College and UC San Diego each with 5, Harvard with 4, and three each from Brigham Young, MIT, Notre Dame, Penn, and Stanford.

College Field of Study:
Biology and related fields: 48%
Other science and math fields 14%
Humanities fields 12%
Chemistry and Biochemistry 11%
Engineering fields 7%
Science/humanities double majors 4%
Business and economics 3%
Health fields 2%

Advanced Degrees:
Seven students have MS degrees in a science or engineering field
Two students have Master's degrees in a public health field
Two students have Master's degrees in humanities fields
Two have a DDS
Two have a JD

Tuition and fees:
Michigan Residents: $19,331 Non-residents: $29,691

Members don't see this ad.

I find it kind of funny that the University of Michigan is state supported..yet less than half their class are in-state students.....go figure

Anyway, thanks for posting this

So, chef, are you going there?!!! I'm 98% sure, and I'll be making my final decision by Monday. Let me know, okay?
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you Mossjoh. Nice "state" school, supported by Michigan taxpayers, for educating primarily non-state residents. To my knowledge, no other public school slights their own residents as much as UM. Grr... (Yes, I'm quite biased)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by westsidespartan:
•To my knowledge, no other public school slights their own residents as much as UM. Grr... (Yes, I'm quite biased)•••••As a fellow MI resident and UM alum who feels slighted by the med school, I second your sentiment. Grr... How does one get into other higher ranked schools and end up on the BOTTOM TIER of UM waitlist? I angrily withdrew. For added emphasis, Grr, Grr...

Thanks for seeing things how I do. I just can't imagine how someone who was accepted at the other Michigan MD schools isn't even interviewed at UMich. I'm going to specifically ask that none of my tax money goes to U of M in the future

(For all those ready to attack me and call me bitter....no..don't. I respect the work that is done there, I just don't understand why it doesn't give a preference to in state residents like MSU and Wayne)

Mossjoh

I think that the top public schools in that nation go for out-of-state people in order to attract diversity in their class. I think if the school has 100% in-state... it is not as respected. Dont ask me why... but I think that is how it goes. UCLA and UCSF are the same way. Although a high percentage of people come from California for those schools..... I am not sure if they give any bias whatsoever. That is what they say at least.

Also... I dont think there is AS much pressure on the great public schools IF there are other public schools in the state that can accept alot of in-staters. For example, California (my home state) and Michigan have other public schools (UCSD, UCD, UCI, MSU, and WSU). But Univ of Washington (a top public school) does not have another public university .. so they are pretty much solely accepting WWAMI students since those other states do not have med schools either (public or private).

So... although it sucks for those that are in-staters..... it seems to make some sense to me.

By the way.... some states fund private schools to accept more instaters. I know that is the fact with Case Western and Cornell.

I think it comes down to one simple word---DIVERSITY---either you agree with it or you hate it, personally I value it and am placing a large emphasis on it's presence at whatever school I decide to matriculate to