U Michigan vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cdc28p

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
U Mich and Cornell... which one would you attend? Let's assume that you have no idea what specialty you will go into, and that you don't really care if you live in a big city or a small college town. What are the pros and cons for each one?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN,Cdc28p!! :) :D This is not related to your question, which I don't know the answer to, but it sounds like a nice dilemma to have. Congrats, and good luck with the decision. Check your PM's (they're in your profile) -- I sent you one a while back, which you apparently haven't read.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cdc28p:
•U Mich and Cornell... which one would you attend? Let's assume that you have no idea what specialty you will go into, and that you don't really care if you live in a big city or a small college town. What are the pros and cons for each one?•••••I don't see how you can NOT care about which city you live in because they are so different.

In my personal opinion, I would choose schools based on two things: financial aid and location/happiness/close-to-family. Because out of that, these schools all match well and have good reputations. and you will always have happy and unhappy students at every school. As for PBL v.s. traditional, it is a throw-up and honestly, you don't know what it is REALLY like anyways until you go through the curriculum yourself and see how you respond. In the end, how you match and how happy you are are the only things that matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cdc28p:
•U Mich and Cornell... which one would you attend? Let's assume that you have no idea what specialty you will go into, and that you don't really care if you live in a big city or a small college town. What are the pros and cons for each one?•••••I don't see how you can NOT care about which city you live in because they are so different.

In my personal opinion, I would choose schools based on two things: financial aid and location/happiness/close-to-family. Because out of that, these schools all match well and have good reputations. and you will always have happy and unhappy students at every school. As for PBL v.s. traditional, it is a throw-up and honestly, you don't know what it is REALLY like anyways until you go through the curriculum yourself and see how you respond. In the end, how you match and how happy you are are the only things that matter. And they both match well.

i agree with thewonderer. i would like to throw in the factor of where you'd like to end up living. fact is most med students will match near their medical school for residencies. ann arbor is a spendid town--a gem in a desert that i call the midwest :) . you will have a great experience at either. cant go wrong.

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. Location is indeed important, but I like both NYC and Ann Arbor perhaps equally, so location is not the deciding factor. I just want to know if any of you has heard of anything, both positive and negative, about these two schools that their glossy brochures don't mention.

Have you done an SDN search on these two schools? You'll likely find a ton of information that way. Be sure to keep us posted! :)