U Michigan vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U Michigan or UCSF?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monkeya41

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please help compare and contrast U Michigan vs. UCSF.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Should tell us your residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your plans after graduation? Each school prepares you in their own way. I'm a UMICH student and I agree that it's one of the best curriculum for dental schools, although very demanding.

At UMICH we started head & neck anatomy in the summer at the medical school and that was one of my favorite classes because it gave a very solid foundation, with the med school professors being some of most renowned in the nation. Same goes with the dental school with the professors and faculty being one of the most influential in the field. At UCSF, you can see the same thing. For example at UMICH we always refer back to UCSF's very own Dean Featherstone for his CAMBRA approach for caries risk assessment. I'm sure you know as well that both UMICH and UCSF are one of the best in research.

You won't get the most detailed explanation or accurate representation of UCSF from me because simply, I'm not a UCSF student, but I can give you what I think as a D1 at UMICH. When picking and learning about schools you need to be very very very objective, understand WHO you are getting your information from. That being said, I have friends at UCSF who feel that they have a good amount of free time compared to other schools. At UMICH, we don't have summer breaks and there are pros and cons of that as well.

Some great things about UMICH and why I chose it (I'm from California):
1) well-rounded education: very strong in all aspects of the education: pre-clinic, clinic, research, community service, leadership
2) environment of the university as a whole: fun college town with top-notch football games, and LOTS of study spaces. 24-hour access to the building so you can practice in sim-lab and study to your heart's desire, although I don't recommend that because I need my sleep.
3) away from home: If I went to my CA school, I would be living too close to home and the living costs are high if I live near school. UMICH OOS was still affordable compared to CA. This was also a BIG con to me to once I got here, I got home-sick, I had difficulty adjusting to the lifestyle of another state, and the food isn't as good as CA.
4) presence of other top grad schools and undergrad. It was important to me to grow as a professional and being here in the presence of other top health professional schools in the country allows the opportunity to work in an inter-professional setting is important for that growth. As you know, UCSF has that as well, but without the undergraduate campus

Reactions: 2 users
Both UCSF and Michigan are the best schools in dental research. Even Harvard and Forsyth cannot compete.

UCSF has pass and fail. I do not know about Michigan.

UCSF because San Francisco >>>> Ann Arbor and Detroit

Reactions: 1 user
Factor in the cost of living!

Thanks for the thoughts you three. I really appreciate it. I am doing a financial analysis today comparing the two. Any other thoughts would be extremely helpful. Thanks again,

I'm sure both schools are great academically. I am very happy at UCSF but financial consideration is extremely important. I chose UCSF over UPenn because finances were important to me. I received a $17,000 grant each year I attended UCSF (currently a D4). I did not find this out until Fin Aid awards were released each year around August. I also live in a fraternity house and pay $750 a month in rent. But my first two years I lived in an apartment and paid $1300 in rent/parking. There are ways to make UCSF and your lifestyle in SF cheaper. Yes they estimate you taking out $90,ooo a year, and I have classmates who do that, but I personally do not.

I'm sure both schools are great academically. I am very happy at UCSF but financial consideration is extremely important. I chose UCSF over UPenn because finances were important to me. I received a $17,000 grant each year I attended UCSF (currently a D4). I did not find this out until Fin Aid awards were released each year around August. I also live in a fraternity house and pay $750 a month in rent. But my first two years I lived in an apartment and paid $1300 in rent/parking. There are ways to make UCSF and your lifestyle in SF cheaper. Yes they estimate you taking out $90,ooo a year, and I have classmates who do that, but I personally do not.

Thank you for the comment. $17,000 grant or scholarship? That sounds like a lot. Is there anyway to find out about that information sooner? Are there any other financial aid opportunities you recommend looking into? How did you manage to get an an apartment+parking for $1300/mo!? Approximately how much is your loan per year?

I'm turning down my state school, and two equally reputed programs (UCONN and Columbia) to attend UCSF. In the end it's always a personal decision. They are all great schools :)

Omg, that was emotional. Love the username. Thanks for that comment it brightened my day

both are great schools, so Michigan if you are ok with very cold weather, and UCSF if you aren't