U Minn vs Tulane vs USF vs SLU MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garg0032

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I appreciate any input but here is my situation.

I applied late and so submitted applications in late march, early april to

University of Minnesota - accepted (first on waitlist, guaranteed 2009 otherwise)
Tulane University - accepted (awesome scholarship 70% of cost)
St Louis University - not heard yet
University of South Florida - accepted

Looking at rankings, U Minn is tops, SLU, USF, Tulane in order.

I am really tempted to go to Tulane cuz of the fantastic scholarship they offered but I really like Minnesota (finished bachelors at U Minn, and younger bro is there) and they are ranked no.2. Also, USF accepted me but because of lack of scholarship, I don't know if I want to go there.

Is it worth it to wait a year in case I don't get in to U Minn this year for guaranteed admission in 2009 or go to Tulane with the great scholarship?
Is the difference in ranking and program strengths that great?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

it sounds like you're pretty much considering uminn and tulane. I don't know much about minnesota but i remember it looked like a great school when i was looking, and i'm guessing you'll have instate tuition which is nice as well.

As far as tulane goes, I'd definitely visit before making a final decision. The public health campus leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, but everyone I spoke with really loved the school and the city. If it were me i think i'd want to get started sooner then have to wait another year, esp. with a great scholarship. New Orleans is great, and it seemed like there were a fair amount of public health opportunities outside the classroom as well. Good Luck!

I definitely want to start early too rather than wait a year but that's what I am asking... is it that worth it to wait a year and go to U Minn over Tulane because it is that much better?

Also, I will be paying out of state at Minn or any other school for that matter as I am applying as an international student.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely recommend visiting if you can. As an international student that might be hard but it definitely has helped me from second guessing my final decision.

As for if it's worth it, that really depends on the person, and probably what they would do with that year off. As far as it depending on the rankings or strengths of the respective programs I would not think it worth it to wait another year personally. It's not like Tulane is a bad school, and I really think in terms of grad school you get what you put into it (for the most part).
New Orleans has a lot to offer in terms of public health opportunities in the city and my impression was Tulane had really great international connections as well.

I should emphasize that a sweet scholarship is really hard to top! I don't know of too many people who were offered substantial assistance for a masters programs. Tulane all the way!

Thanks for all the great advice and replies.

The reason I am so biased towards U Minn is that it is a no.2 program, and that carries alot of weight in professional circles. Also, the alumni network is impressive and being in Minnesota, the biomed companies, and health-services industry there is well developed. I have an undergrad in Biomedical Engineering from the same school U Minn and am also extremely familiar with the place. Also my interest is in medical services consulting, biotech management or something in that facility, where I can apply my technical skills as much as management and finance education. I am highly considering doing a MHA/MBA and Carlson (UMN business school) is a fairly well recognized school (top 25).

Although the scholarship is really substantial, I am also inclined to believe that going to the U MN over Tulane even without the scholarship will pay for itself at the end.

One of my good friends graduated from the MHA program at UMN and has an excellent fellowship at Mayo in Eau Claire and after his fellowship is guaranteed a six figure income - all after 3 years out of MHA.

I guess I am making up my mind substantially here already but I don't know if this is necessarily good logic. I feel that the quality, recognition and prestige of the graduate program you get your degree from, no matter what field, really matters, after speaking to so many older professionals with MBAs, or PHDs etc...

With the year off, I am looking to get a job at medtronic or 3M, which I think may ultimately also be a good help in getting better acclimated to the industry I want to work in.

So I guess, I am looking for others to affirm my logic so I feel good about it, or knock me to my senses and say that I am too attached to the UMN...haha

thanks!

Also I feel I really messed up by applying late. I feel I could have gotten into Michigan, UNC, Northwestern or John Hopkins if I didn't miss my deadlines.

3.2 GPA - biomedical engineering
1410 GRE
33 MCATs
22 DATs
1 year clinical research experience in Diabetes Institute

Yeah I took all these tests because I didnt know what I want to do, but knew I wanted to be in the healthcare industry, finally figured out about MHA!

But gotta take the GMATs for the MBA also....

But would I have a good chance at these other schools if I waited another year as well?

I am doing my MPH at the U of M, and also did my BS (biology) here. I have been very impressed with the network (not only do we have all the medical device/biomed companies, but there are plenty of opportunities at the MDH and in private organizations as well), and being familiar with the school and the area will help you out. I also have friends who are doing the MHA and MS (Health Services Research, Policy, & Administration) and secured employment for after their degrees during the first semester of coursework. A friend of mine is doing an internship at the National Marrow Donor Program, and much, or all, of her coursework is paid for by them, so there are opportunities for tuition benefits even outside of RA/TAships.

Plus, it really sounds like you want to go to the U, but are having second thoughts only because of money. Money is something to consider, and if you are able to visit Tulane, I think your decision would be much more clear. You could love it or hate it there.

Another thing to think about... if you don't get in to U Minn in 2008, you could move here, get a job, and establish residency. Then come 2009 you can pay in-state tuition. I'd say it's probably worth it to wait over Tulane, but I have heard pretty good things about Tulane as well.

Also I feel I really messed up by applying late. I feel I could have gotten into Michigan, UNC, Northwestern or John Hopkins if I didn't miss my deadlines.

3.2 GPA - biomedical engineering
1410 GRE
33 MCATs
22 DATs
1 year clinical research experience in Diabetes Institute

Yeah I took all these tests because I didnt know what I want to do, but knew I wanted to be in the healthcare industry, finally figured out about MHA!

But gotta take the GMATs for the MBA also....

But would I have a good chance at these other schools if I waited another year as well?

Wow man, just wow. I am a Biomedical Engineer too, and that is just an inspiration.

Hi guys,

You guys are a great network and thanks for your advice. I decided to pursue the MHA at UMN but without the MBA for now as it does cost alot of money. Thinking that if I do require an MBA in the future I can get corporate sponsorship.

But I appreciate all the advice and good luck with your future endeavors as well. Let me know if I can offer any advice or help with anything as well.