u. minnesota twin-cities info/perspectives/interviews?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xaelia, Sep 27, 2002.

1. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    I'll be at University of Minnesota Twin-Cities a week from Monday, and I don't really know much about it beyond its reputation and location (reputation good; location Minneapolis). :)

I would welcome anyone's comments or perspectives, whether current medical students, past interviewees, or their sister's ex-boyfriend's cousin said "...."

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I have a friend who is now an MSII at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. I haven't talked to him in a while, but he was a CT resident formerly from Iowa (interviewed there also) with ties to the state of MN (his dad used to be a prof at UMD). Although he was thrilled to get the interview invitation, he was a little hesitant about going back to the Midwest since he didn't particularly enjoy the close-mindedness he found in Iowa coming from a Jewish family (that is his opinion, not mine, I have never been to Iowa). After his interview, he fell in love with U Minn and it moved to the top of his list (over his state school, U Conn). He was accepted 8 weeks after the interview and decided to attend the school, withdrawing from the waitlists at U Conn, Nebraska and Iowa, and dropping his acceptances at NYMC and Louisville. He was offered in-state tuition and started with their summer pre-matriculation program, which was tough but well-worth it in his opinion. I think he is still enjoying it there. Many of the U Minn-ers on here are very nice (oldman, Barton, racergirl, etc.), and the two people I know in my class that went to undergrad in Minnesota (not MN residents, they are from Alaska and Newton, Mass.) are pretty cool guys. hopefully they can give better info than I can. good luck, I would love to go to Minnesota, have relatives there that I've never met!

BTW, my friend's stats were fairly average (a bit better than mine), 3.5 GPA in biochemistry and theatre minor from U Iowa, and 31S MCAT with 8 VR. So don't worry that you'll be surrounded by people all with ridiculously high stats and intimidating resumes, people seem really cool and laid back in the Midwest!

4. xaelia

xaelia neenlet
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    Thanks Katie! I'm really starting to look forward to my interview at Minnesota next week; I've been hearing only good things about it so far. It will be interesting to see how good of a fit for me I feel it is.....