This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't know anything about how U of A's 3 year program is structured, so I'll focus on the financial aspects.

$70k is still a lot of money and don't forget to count accrued interest in your calculations. $70k is a nice down payment on a house. Even though U of A is not close to where you are living now and you would need housing, you wouldn't need to budget for airfare home for holidays etc. Also important to consider if being close to home/family is important to you. A teaching hospital is a benefit, but I'm hoping that U of A has figured out how to make sure that its students are getting the experiences they need to be prepared etc. You will also start earning a real salary a year earlier at U of A.

Congrats on your acceptances! Having to make this sort of decision is a good "problem" to have :)

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptances!
For the $70k difference & the shorter time building debt (because you have to live & can’t work during a typical 4th year) I’d pick U of A.

It’s new, but it’ll be filled with truly passionate people who want to see you succeed. With a new program, your success is literally their success. Also, they seem to have more/better integrated practical experiences than many traditional programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would really appreciate any advice/insight! U of A is in state for me, and is a three year program, which are two great benefits. However, Cornell is a really good program too and well, it’s Cornell. It also has a teaching hospital on campus which is nice. I would have to get housing either way because I live far away from U of A. Also, cost wise it’s maybe a 70,000 difference. I haven’t gotten any financial aid packages but I’m gonna assume it’ll be very little if nothing since we mostly pay for school through loans. Any advice/thoughts are appreciated! I’m visiting Cornell and already went and saw U of A
Can’t speak to U of A but I spoke to a Cornell student recently and they said there is not a great work/life balance. It’s Cornell so you will get an amazing education but anecdotally I was told many of the students are stressed/depressed. I know that’s “normal” for vet school but it seems like that experience may be amplified at Cornell. I hear Ithaca is a cool place though.

Can’t speak to U of A but I spoke to a Cornell student recently and they said there is not a great work/life balance. It’s Cornell so you will get an amazing education but anecdotally I was told many of the students are stressed/depressed. I know that’s “normal” for vet school but it seems like that experience may be amplified at Cornell. I hear Ithaca is a cool place though.
Second year Cornell student here - can confirm, the courses are horribly stressful compared to what I've heard from fellow vet students at other vet schools (I don't know anything about U of A specifically though). There are plenty of upsides to Cornell, but significant downsides too, and the upsides definitely aren't worth the 70k difference plus the mental health sacrifices, IMO. I came to Cornell because it was my cheapest option!

I'm going to be blatantly honest - no one should come to Cornell (or any school) just "because it's Cornell." Minimizing your loans and preserving your mental health matter so much more than prestige. Every accredited vet school will provide you with the education you need to be a great vet. When it comes to academics, some just might suit your learning style better or worse than others.

I see a lot of people are posting threads comparing Cornell to other schools and I won't be able to respond to every single one - anyone wanting to hear more about Cornell is more than welcome to PM me!

Reactions: 3 users