U of Arizona Question...I totally messed up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daichi Katase

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after a lot of good stuff over the past 3 years and a damn good GPA of 3.8, I am getting a 2.7 this semester. U of A requires that i submit my fall grades before a decision. Doesn't this look kinda bad? :rolleyes:

Do they really care a lot about fall grades? My interviews at UofA went really well and overall GPA drop will not be that much....but is is still quite worrisome.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not worry about it. I highly doubt that this 2.7 will overshadow three years of excellent work. I am sure they will understand. You look like a great applicant to the school. I remember seeing your profile earlier. Just focus on the future.

They don't REQUIRE the grades, just suggest that you send them in...

Members don't see this ad :)
no...for them to consider you for admission...they REQUIRE them. : (

DetectiveChubby said:
So after a lot of good stuff over the past 3 years and a damn good GPA of 3.8, I am getting a 2.7 this semester. U of A requires that i submit my fall grades before a decision. Doesn't this look kinda bad? :rolleyes:

Do they really care a lot about fall grades? My interviews at UofA went really well and overall GPA drop will not be that much....but is is still quite worrisome.

You'll be fine. Haven't you been accepted alread? Save the worrying for those of us who are sitting around the mailbox soon. I don't know what kind of advice I'm giving you, but unless they ask you for your grades, I wouldnt' send them. I'm kind of in the same situation-- bad grades this semester resulting from a severe case of senioritis coupled with an untreated anxiety disorder precipitated by the medical school application process.

DetectiveChubby said:

I've been thinking about this, since I was worried that my grades would take a hit this quarter (and one of the schools where I'm post-interview and pending a decision requires fall transcripts, too). It probably doesn't look great, but it shouldn't be the thing that makes or breaks you. It probably also depends if all of your grades were B-'s, or if there was one much lower grade (C- or lower), and the nature of the classes in which you received the lower grades. If you're really concerned, you could submit an update letter and give a brief explanation (if you can figure out a non-cocky way to say that you had to miss a lot of classes because you were really fortunate to receive a lot of interviews, but you're still really interested in their school, etc.).

I know this isn't the same thing, but one of my state schools says that as long as you get grades of C or higher after an acceptance, they don't care. If you get a C- or lower, you have to submit an explanation in writing, and they'll consider it on a case-by-case basis. So with all of the other information U of A already has on you, as long as each individual grade was a C or higher, it probably won't be a deal-breaker.

All you can do is send it in and not worry too much about it, though! Ultimately, they'll do what they want to do with your grades, and it's out of your hands! Good luck! :luck:

DetectiveChubby said:
no...for them to consider you for admission...they REQUIRE them. : (
I too wonder the same thing 'cause they emphasize alot on mailing in Fall Grades. My number choice is UA, so I can't wait 'till end January. This waiting is killing me.
Goodluck Detective

if they require it, then they require it....maybe they won't even look at your application if you fail to send in your fall grades...who knows?...only they know.
:confused:

gildas, i know you and know know me in real life. I wonder if you can guess who I am? :p

when did they tell you they even want the transcripts sent? i don't remember that one little bit from my interview. I remember getting an interview, and sitting through an afternoon talk, and going over lots of pamphlets,,,, but grades? what the heck did i miss.....fill me in?

DetectiveChubby said:
gildas, i know you and know know me in real life. I wonder if you can guess who I am? :p
I have no clue who you are Detective. Can you help me remember?
Note: Even if you do not remember about sending your grades, they will remind you when they send you the "postcard" that your file is complete.

Alex,

I thought you need to be an arizona resident to go to U of A. I did a little more than two years at U of A before transfering and at that time the med school only accepted Arizona residents or WHICHE states people. Has it changed, because i saw on your profile your from florida

Alex05 said:
Do not worry about it. I highly doubt that this 2.7 will overshadow three years of excellent work. I am sure they will understand. You look like a great applicant to the school. I remember seeing your profile earlier. Just focus on the future.

gildas I interviewed in late september. still don't know what you mean about grades and a postcard. Am i not getting my mail AGAIN?
*grumbles about interview invite getting lost in the mail and getting sent to my crazy upstairs neighbor, who, after three weeks of holding the letter, knocks on my door with a cupcake congratulating me on getting into medical school.... and i was like ... what? give me that!.... and then i finally interviewed.... i did take the cupcake though, it was quite good...*

gildas said:
I have no clue who you are Detective. Can you help me remember?
Note: Even if you do not remember about sending your grades, they will remind you when they send you the "postcard" that your file is complete.