U of Arizona starts NEXT WEEK! EGAD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ready guys n gals??? I know it's only orientation next week, but I'm pretty excited...slightly nervous...and somewhat wistful that these are my last "free" weekends before classes on 7/28.

I'm in the AHSL right now...wondering if those around me are potential classmates.

Here's to a kick ass year!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really excited too...kinda like that elementary school first day of school excitement :)
I actually had a dream that first day of school started, but it was in my old middle school with all of the people from middle school:laugh: :laugh: We had a test the second day that I had forgotten to study for :)

In real life, I am getting ready to move down to Tuscon this Friday. Fun times! There is nothing I hate more than moving and I have already been doing it for two months straight!

I also heard from my second year "buddy." She truly frightened me! Many, many horror stories!

I'll be moving this weekend as well, if anyone feels the need to come and help lift a few boxes, I would appreciate it! ;)

Anyways, I'm excited about getting started, but I really can't believe that I'm actually starting med school. It still seems kind of like a dream, or a nightmare, depends on the day.

I'll look forward to seeing all of you bright and early on Tuesday of next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really excited for all of you attending UA for med school this year. As a May 2003 graduate (undergrad) who is taking a year off before medical school (*really want the UA*), I feel the vapor of your excitement and anticipation. Hopefully I will meet all of you in a year!

Good Luck!

Originally posted by gertie
Hello U of A students,

I just wanted to let u know what kind of classmate u will have in ur class, namely MichiMO.
She has been extremely rude to me. she usually gives great advice to people and i asked her a few times regarding a program she did that i want to do as well. in addition, she is a mcgill alumnus/a like myself so i thought that her advice would be most helpful. her rudeness goes far beyond what i just wrote.

beware of ur classmate who did her undergrad at mcgill..she's a real bitch.

best of luck to all of u next week!

gertie

SWEET! my dog has valley fever.

Now I feel all giddy like a little catholic school girl after readin this post :love: .....

Lol seriously though it reminded me of the feeling I had when I was about to start undergrad. Good luck on your trepid voyage through the uncharted territories of MD!

whoa! no need for name calling gertie :( we are all friends here...

i am done with moving and am looking forward to starting school next week too. I still have no news from my sophmore buddy but may call him to ask some questions. so MichiMo what kind of horror stories did you hear?? do tell!

Oh my goodness gertie! Please calm down! If anyone is being rude here, I think it is you.

I honestly did not even know you were trying to get a hold of me until a few days ago when I went back and read the other UA thread and checked my PM box. I did not respond promptly after that only because I wanted to spend a fair amount of time responding so I could give you usefull information. I have just not had the time in the last few days. I have been insainly busy and have hardly been reading SDN since late May. Just to give you a bit of a recap of my life so that you may understand a bit, I graduated, moved from Montreal, helped my family move into a new house in Phoenix, have had to find a place to live in Tuscon, and get all the other million things done that needed to be done before med. school starts. I have not been spending much time at the computer.

I apologize for offending you. It was unintentional. Naturally, I would be happy to tell you about the program, though I am less inclined now that you have gone and branded me a bitch to all my future classmates :laugh: :laugh:

The sad, sad little world of annoynomous internet forums :)

Oh as for horror stories, there were several:
How easy it is to fail
Learing to live on 5-6 hours of sleep
Gaining massive amounts of weight
Not being able to eat after anatomy (don't know how this and the one before go together :))
Countless hours in the anatomy lab
Never being able to keep up with the work

It sounds like fun!

Hi MichiMO,

I apologize profusely -- I am a HUGE ASS!!! For some reason I thought u were purposely ignoring my initial questions, since I initially PMed u last month, waited a few weeks for a response and didn't get one. of course i assumed u were busy so i just tried to get ur attention in another U of A thread that ur input would really be valuable to me...anyway, when i pmed u last week again, and my sent message said u had read it but i didn't receive a response, i was convinced u had something against me. obviously, as anyone can see, i am paranoid..it's my personality defect! i am truly sorry..and will delete the post in which i called u names...now, everyone can see i am the bitch, not u! so it's open season on gertie now...i.e. all attacks on my personality are welcome..i deserve a good ass whoopin'

To all those attending U of A, MichiMO's not a bitch...gertie of McGill is the real bitch!

Originally posted by MichiMO
How easy it is to fail
Not being able to eat after anatomy (don't know how this and the one before go together :))

It sounds like fun!

JESUS! here we go again. just like undergrad.

Just wanted to wish all of you who start next week the best of luck!

I'm also a 2003 U of A grad and won't be able to apply to the med school because I am a California resident... but reading your thread makes me a little nostalgic for Tucson. Anyway, have fun, kick ass, and go Cats! :)

How easy it is to fail

It sounds like fun!

YIKES! Not the cool confidence building you'd hope for! Hmmm, I'm a little confused...my "frosh buddy" (gheesh, that sounds so summer campish!) also says it was a struggle for the first two months, until she figured out which classes she should and could skip. Then she said it was fine. Not stellar advice, but good enough to keep her sane, she tells me. And, another soon to be second year says he was totally comfortable last year, had time to rock climb, go out several nights a week, be in a rock band, etc. He didn't honor, mind you, but he said the volume, as we've heard time and time again, is your enemy. Don't let it overwhelm you, he told me, and you'll be fine. Me personally, I'm super nervous about the lack of sleep and weight gain - two items that don't sit well with my own sanity.

My frosh buddy (!?!?!) also says to go ahead and get your books for next week, as we already have neuro lectures tucked in the orientation blahblah amid team building and support group exercises. She's giving me most of her books, and taking me to the bookstore to purchase Netters as well as a few other review books she found helpful. She also advised to pick your gross lab partners well: if you're a "sit back and watch to learn" kind of person, find someone who is a "take direction and dig in" kind of person.

I forgot to ask her where med students "hang out" after hours - do any of you know? I might have to get a rally beer in this weekend - and I need a real reason to get out of my tiny studio guest house - I'm running out of reasons to make Target runs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pinky...sound's like your frosh buddy (yes I find that hysterical as well...reminds me of my high school where we were given frosh buddies) is a bit more helpful than mine. She didn't mention selling me her used books...she kinda seems like one of those who would want to keep them :) I am confused about the book buying thing. I like having everything early, but don't want to pay more than I need to.
My buddy also gave me the same advice about picking lab partners. Another thing she said about choosing the partners was to be real clear with people about whether you wanted to honor...that this was really important because while everyone will say they want to honor, most people really don't want to work that hard. If you do, make sure you are with dedicated people. On the other hand, if you don't want to honor, you don't want to be in a group where you will be pissing people off.
Personally, I don't know how we are supposed to "know" if we want to honor. I know I want to do my best. It would be great if that ended up in an honors. But I am also not one of those "I just want to pass" people. You know what I mean?

It is all a little overwhelming! As for rally beers, I don't know where the hangouts are. I am hoping that there will be some fun places. Coming from Montreal, where people never sleep, Tucson will be quite a change :) Any good Irish pubs or Latin dance places?

Oh and to gertie...no worries. I can understand how it might seem like I trying to ignore you. PM me with some questions about GSC...I'll tell you all I know. Also, if you want to see some pictures from Arusha, I have tons on my websight photo album at
www.u.arizona.edu/~michimg. It might give you a visual idea of what it is like.

Hey Guys, I was reading this forum, and i never met anyone here going to U of A. Anyways I am a junior at ASU Main and interested in UA med school as well. I am really happy for all of you who are going to start next week at UA. I will like to know about your experiences applying to UA.
Congratulation Y'all.

Hey guys, It's me again. I was just wondering if anyone of you knew how many applicants were rejected by UA this year..

It depends how many people they accepted of the alternate list, but I think on average 3 out of 4 people are rejected. Sounds harsh but a 25% acceptance rate is actually pretty good for a US medical school...one of the best I've seen.

I don't know about med school bars, but Dirtbag's on Speedway and Campbell was always a popular joint. Funny I should know about this topic since I don't drink! :laugh:

Frosh buddies???? Are those the second years that are supposed to be contacting you, and giving you lots of helpful information as you stress over getting ready for school to start? Uh . . . yeah . . . uh . . . I haven't ever heard from mine.

when i took anatomy, i was always hungry. i think cause lab ended at noon.

How easy it is to fail

It sounds like fun!

It must be one of the earliest, from what my other accepted friends tell me...and we go until early/mid June, so the first year is truly almost a year! At least we get a fall break for a week, in addition to a spring break.

Originally posted by Pinki
It must be one of the earliest, from what my other accepted friends tell me...and we go until early/mid June, so the first year is truly almost a year! At least we get a fall break for a week, in addition to a spring break.

youch. i went about 10 months of class my first year and i was so tired by the last week it was unbelievable.