U of AZ Phoenix vs USF vs Iowa vs SLU w/ tuition costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunebugger12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: ATM my career goals are to pursue academia but not sure in what specialty (perhaps something surgical but anything could happen). All these schools are OOS, and I have provided tuition costs for each after adjusting for aid. I will be away from my support system for all these options and do not have any geographic preference for residency.

USF-Morsani (~54K a year)

Pros
-attractive location (tampa)
-good research and clinical rotations (TGH/Moffit/VA)
-new med building

Cons
-SOAP issues past 2 years (admin blames students, students blame admin)
-Tiered grading scale (2+2)
-higher COL?

Iowa (~44k a year)

Pros
-strong home residency programs in many competitive specialties (Good research & supportive admin)
-cheap COL

Cons
-tiered grading scale
-busy work during pre-clinicals (reflections, etc.)
?Iowa city (not sure if a con as I'm unfamiliar)

SLU (~40k a year)

Pros
-True P/F pre-clinical (1.5 + 2.5) curriculum focused on independent learning
-research avenue open at WashU
-cheap COL

Cons
?St Louis (not sure if a con as I'm from unfamiliar)

AZ-Phoenix (~50K a year)

Pros
-True P/F pre-clinical (1.5 + 2.5)
-Phoenix seems like a nice city
-Nice facilities
?No AOA (is this good?)

Cons
-relatively newer school( lacking home programs in many competitive specialties, lack of research opportunities)
-higher COL?

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It appears that the highest ranked school on your list, the school with multiple top residency programs and the only school that is part of the MSTP is also your lowest cost option. Or are you allergic to corn? :)

Reactions: 1 user
It appears that the highest ranked school on your list, the school with multiple top residency programs and the only school that is part of the MSTP is also your lowest cost option. Or are you allergic to corn? :)
Seems like an easy choice when you put it like that. With Iowa, I was just worried if the tiered grading and busy work during pre-clinical would significantly impact quality of life during that time.

I just heard back from SLU and they are offering a 20K grant making it my cheapest option atm. Does that change things in your opinion?

Seems like an easy choice when you put it like that. With Iowa, I was just worried if the tiered grading and busy work during pre-clinical would significantly impact quality of life during that time.

I just heard back from SLU and they are offering a 20K grant making it my cheapest option atm. Does that change things in your opinion.
Well, I'm probably not the most objective person to ask as I will be graduating from Iowa in few weeks. However, I was also accepted to SLU and was seriously considering them until the probation occurred during my cycle. However, looking at things now, if you are looking for academic medicine and/or research, Iowa is just at a different level. That said any of the schools will allow you to match into specialties - if your scores and app are strong enough.

The H/NH/P/F system isn't horrible, and of course you need to learn the material. The only downside is for AOA purposes. Even though I honored every clinical rotation, I did not get AOA as I did not have enough honors points from pre-clinical. That said, I received a great match in a tough specialty in my targeted location.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As an admitted applicant to UA- PHX, you should have got the email today with the match lists over the past two years. I wouldn't worry about being able to match into competitive specialties, as they have had some impressive matches over the past couple years (ex. 3 plastic and 6 ortho in 2020 for a class of 80). I am biased, but Phoenix is such an awesome city with so many opportunities. The clinical partners at UA - PHX are excellent as well.