U of C rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following is an email that I received recently. It was a response to my inquiry as to why I was rejected. Thought you might enjoy!

Dear Mr. Park:

Thank you for your message about your application. I can certainly
understand that you might be disappointed in the outcome of your application
to the Pritzker School of Medicine. The Admissions committee felt that you
had accomplished much but did not find strong evidence in your application
that you were dedicated to service those in need. We receive such a very
large number of applications from highly qualified individuals that we must
inevitably disappoint some.

Thank you again for your interest in the Pritzker School of Medicine. Please
know that we wish you the very best in the application process and hope that
you are able to fulfill your aspirations to enter the medical profession.

Eric Lombard
Professor
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Well, were they right or do you have a rebuttal? Have you demonstrated "service those in need" [sic]?

Originally posted by owen_osh
Well, were they right or do you have a rebuttal? Have you demonstrated "service those in need" [sic]?

I took care of my grandmother for 2 yrs when she had cancer and my family provided home healthcare. I spent a summer helping my other grandmother with her physical therapy.

I helped out at my local church (welcoming committee 1 yr) and a homeless shelter (3 months; limited funds reason for termination). This was in addition to working full time conducting cancer research at Abbott Labs. I've called dozens of clinics and all have told me that they cannot accomodate my schedule.

You tell me...How the heck does one work full time (requires weekends and nights occasionally) and do service? I'm asking any of you for advice...smarta$$es need not reply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dpark74
How the heck does one work full time (requires weekends and nights occasionally) and do service? I'm asking any of you for advice...

Wellll....

Originally posted by dpark74
smarta$$es need not reply!

oh! :(

Sorry to hear about the rejection. It really does seem like you care about helping others and will make a fine doctor. I hope that you get in somewhere. Good luck to you.

Originally posted by Medical123
Sorry to hear about the rejection. It really does seem like you care about helping others and will make a fine doctor. I hope that you get in somewhere. Good luck to you.

Thanks for your encouragement! :)

Well, I guess the lesson for those who haven't finished their secondaries yet is that service work is very important to Pritzker.

dude.... janet reno is hot.

Originally posted by Cerberus
Don't worry, the females at Pritzker all look like Janet Reno:laugh:

You talkin' 'bout Chewbacca?

-RA

:(

Sorry to hear about Pritzker. I also work full-time as well as on the weekends and I know how hard it is get involved in other things. My research takes up the bulk of my time, especially now when I 'm getting close to publishing.

I'm such a *****, I'm still trying to finish their secondary but I guess all that'll mean is a nice rejection letter a bit later than yours. Hopefully we'll both be at UIC next year.

As for Cerberus' comment on the females at Pritzker, PM me if you're curious about what he's referring to. Its been...um...*discussed* on SDN before let's just say.

I too was recently rejected. Did you call, or email somebody at Chicago?

Members don't see this ad :)
Janet Reno hot??? You need to get out more............anyways, sounds like something generic that they would send out to you. Good luck on your other apps.

Jetson

It sounds to me like it is just an excuse?they had to say something, and something subjective like that is hard to argue with. It could be that you didn?t volunteer for enough ?stuff?, or that whoever read your personal statement didn?t care for something, or didn?t feel that you wanted to serve others. We all know how random this process is, and its not worth beating yourself up over.

If you are having trouble finding places to volunteer, try contacting the largest hospital in your area. I work full time as well as go to school fulltime, and I found that the larger hospitals had more shifts, and were able to work with me. I spent 6 hours or so a week for quite a while at a local mental health hospital? it was very interesting!

Mr. Park,

I was talking about this with my friends (one is premed, rest are engineers).

I find it utterly mind-boggling how little academia respects working full time. When applying for jobs, companies are all about that motivated/die-hard attitute. And honestly, I would select a person who worked full time with a lower gpa over someone who was just taking classes (you can argue.........but try working 40 hours a week and doing your schoolwork............not easy). My friends who work full time have their "spare time" maybe from 2-3 am.......its pretty nutty. Given some work is easier than others (offer spare time to cram in learning).

Just my $.02. You don't need UC............you'll find someplace better. And apparently the Janet Reno thing makes it all the more reason not to be there. If it counts for anything, you have my respect.

Taking care of one's grandmother is of considerable merit in my view. I can't imagine why they would question your commitment to those in need when you've taken care of your own family for 2 years.

honest i think it's just a polite way of telling you your numbers are subpar. Honestly i don't imagine that they can tell you that straight out....that's just not kosher. so instead they make up this "service" crap. What a load!

don't worry. you'll get in. hang in there

I got rejected from U of C too...bastards. They don't know what they're missing out on. That applies to stanford and mayo:p You're right! People at U of C are big dorks:laugh:

hey d,

i wouldnt worry about it buddy. I'm sure you'll get into one of the chicago schools.

Uof C only takes 104 people out of like 8000.. so if someone reads your personal statement and has an opinion on it.. thats it.

It sucks but I think there's an element of luck in it as well.

Though I certainly think that voluteering in the medical field is the best option, I think you can add to your ECs by volunteering for an elementary school or other type of community organization. Not that I know anything about what schools want, but just showing that you are concerned about the community could also impress without actually having a medically related volunteer experience. Who knows, though, I'm just one person.

Originally posted by SunnyS81
Mr. Park,

I was talking about this with my friends (one is premed, rest are engineers).

I find it utterly mind-boggling how little academia respects working full time. When applying for jobs, companies are all about that motivated/die-hard attitute. And honestly, I would select a person who worked full time with a lower gpa over someone who was just taking classes (you can argue.........but try working 40 hours a week and doing your schoolwork............not easy). My friends who work full time have their "spare time" maybe from 2-3 am.......its pretty nutty. Given some work is easier than others (offer spare time to cram in learning).

thats my life. I just hope I can pull off a good enough mcat score that it wont matter, but yeah its hard to work full-time and go to school full-time as well.

I honestly don't have time to volunteer. I'm going to try to do some things with my church and an organization I belong to (CCFA.org) that and shadowing my local doc hopefully will be enough.

Hey don't worry about it. I got bumped from UofC too. As well as hopkins. But it can't be as bad as last year(I'm a reapplicant). Pritzker sent me three separate rejection letters. Guess they wanted to be sure I got the message.

Originally posted by nitemagi
But it can't be as bad as last year(I'm a reapplicant). Pritzker sent me three separate rejection letter. Guess they wanted to be sure I got the message.

Dear Applicant,

This is your third notice.

Just wanted to make sure that you undertand that you are being rejected.

The word rejected means:

Main Entry: 1re?ject
Pronunciation: ri-'jekt
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin rejectus, past participle of reicere, from re- + jacere to throw -- more at JET
Date: 15th century
1 a : to refuse to accept, consider, submit to, take for some purpose, or use <rejected the suggestion> <reject a manuscript> b : to refuse to hear, receive, or admit : REBUFF, REPEL <parents who reject their children> c : to refuse as lover or spouse
2 obsolete : to cast off
3 : THROW BACK, REPULSE
4 : to spew out

Please stop requesting explanations as to why you were rejected. You suck.

Signed,

Dean of Pritzker

P.S. If

Actually I never even asked why. They just kept sending them. I almost sent a letter saying:

Dear Pritzker,

I recently received your letter indicating that I will not be considered for admission to the Pritzker School of Medicine. Following this I received another letter indicating that I will not be considered for admission to the Pritzker School of Medicine. I believe the message was clear. The following day, I received a third letter indicating I would not be attending Pritzker.

Please, stop sending me letters. Amidst the extreme stress of applying to medical school, your hammering insensitivity and callous sarcasm can only push an individual into a deep depression. I got the point.

Sincerely,

nitemagi

why did you write asking why you were rejected? i really don't think anyone should expect to be admitted no matter what sort of stats/activities they have, particularly at a top school. i don't mean to be rude, but there is really no reason to write to a school unless maybe it's a lower tier school and you are a top student with excellent ec's. even if i had a 4.0 and a 40 mcat i wouldn't expect to get in everywhere i applied.

Originally posted by lola
why did you write asking why you were rejected? i really don't think anyone should expect to be admitted no matter what sort of stats/activities they have, particularly at a top school. i don't mean to be rude, but there is really no reason to write to a school unless maybe it's a lower tier school and you are a top student with excellent ec's. even if i had a 4.0 and a 40 mcat i wouldn't expect to get in everywhere i applied.

miss bovine, read others' posts carefully before flaming. ;)

I think it's a good idea to ask why you were rejected. If you don't get in and want to reapply the next year you can get tips on how to improve your application. There are many schools who encourage rejected applicants to inquire why their application was rejected. It's nice to get a little guidance from the people who actually know what your application needs. All of the suggestions you recieve from fellow applicants is speculation. Each school has specific reasons why they accept or reject someone.

Originally posted by lola

I agree with you that no one should expect to be admitted anywhere, but some schools are willing to discuss with you why they rejected you and I think that can give you a lot of insight about your application. Last year after being rejected by medical schools, I made appointments with as many Deans that were willing to discuss my application with me. Many of them were very helpful and we talked about the strengths and weaknesses of my application and I what I can do to strengthen my application for the following cycle.

Originally posted by Kermie
I agree with you that no one should expect to be admitted anywhere, but some schools are willing to discuss with you why they rejected you and I think that can give you a lot of insight about your application. Last year after being rejected by medical schools, I made appointments with as many Deans that were willing to discuss my application with me. Many of them were very helpful and we talked about the strengths and weaknesses of my application and I what I can do to strengthen my application for the following cycle.

This is a perfect example of why you should ask about your rejection. I'm sure there are things that you already knew needed strengthening, but the Dean can give other subtle clues as to why you were rejected. I have a friend who was rejected one year with a good MCAT and GPA and tons of ECs. He met with the Dean talked about things to improve and the next cycle when he got another interview he interviewed with the Dean. She asked if he did what she suggested, he had done everything and was accepted.

"This was in addition to working full time conducting cancer research at Abbott Labs. "

This of course is just my opinion, but this may have been your application "killer". For what ever reason, academic institutions do not see doing research at a company the same as at an academic institution like NIH or UIC. Why, I have no idea and I don't think its fair, but it's because of this "bias" that I left a lucrative position in industry to work at NIH.

I got the same cold shoulder when I inquired about medical schools as a Chemist, but now I'm getting a totally different and extremely positive reaction from schools, especially research focused ones, now that I'm at NIH.

Originally posted by chips
miss bovine, read others' posts carefully before flaming. ;)

read whose post?
i agree that i may have come off as sounding a bit harsh, but it is way too early in the game to be questioning decisions in my opinion. if he/she doesn't get in anywhere, then i agree that talking to particular schools may be valuable in improving his/her application for the next year.